No automatic spin down for new disks in array

There is a (known) bug in unRAID where newly added drives won't spin down automatically.

The workaround is to do the following:

main -> disk X -> Device settings -> click on "Apply"

The above will correctly write all the settings for disk X (this applies to parity and cache as well). The setting for "Spin down delay" isn't written when the drive is added the first time to the array (this is the bug).

It was reported a long time ago, but apparently never got addressed, just like to mention it again and perhaps get it fixed in a upcoming release.

There is a (known) bug in unRAID where newly added drives won't spin down automatically.

The workaround is to do the following:

main -> disk X -> Device settings -> click on "Apply"

The above will correctly write all the settings for disk X (this applies to parity and cache as well). The setting for "Spin down delay" isn't written when the drive is added the first time to the array (this is the bug).

It was reported a long time ago, but apparently never got addressed, just like to mention it again and perhaps get it fixed in a upcoming release.

I've tried a few things, can't make this bug happen.  Are you sure problem still persists?

I've tried a few things, can't make this bug happen.  Are you sure problem still persists?

Recently added two new drives to the array. There were first precleared, then assigned and formatted. In this process I did not touch the disk settings of these drives. And by default they get the same spin down time as the other drives.

Once the timer reaches the designated time all drives spin down except the newly added ones. I could make them work by going to the disk settings page and press apply, it seems to me that initially the settings are not (all) applied.

It was tested with version 5.0.4.

That's unfortunate ...

Perhaps you can try the following sequence (please ignore if already tried).

- Create the array with 2 or 3 disks. For testing purposes set the default spin down time to 15 minutes.

- Add one new drive to the system

- Preclear the drive and when done, stop the array to add this new drive to it

- Start the array and format the new drive

- Wait 15 minutes to see if all (including new) drives spin down.

To put things in perspective, it isn't a high urgency!

I might know how this "happens"... On some browsers you need to refresh the cache.. Otherwise the backend will think its working on someother disk... I at least had this using simplefeatures (when I still did that..)

In this case screen updates are done in "real-time" and there is no need to refresh the browser's cache.

Since I installed two new drives I could verify the problem 'disappeared' once I applied the disk settings - doing this one-by-one.

In short it was quite easy for me to produce and solve the problem, but apparently it isn't as easy or straightforward as I was thinking  :D