New HGST NAS Hard Drive

• 2 weeks later...

I stumbled across this drive today while looking for a new drive.

Other than the tech info on Amazon, I cannot find anything else.  I wonder if this is basically a 7200RPM WD Red drive. 

From Amazon:

The Deskstar NAS hard drive is a 7200 RPM 3.5-inch hard drive that provides an exceptional blend of reliability and performance, making it an ideal solution for consumer and commercial desktop NAS systems. This NAS-ready hard drive from HGST delivers media transfer rates that are as much as 20% faster than 5400 RPM drives and seek times less than 12ms. Furthermore, Deskstar NAS hard drives incorporate a rotational vibration sensor and achieve reliability of 1M hours MTBF. All HGST hard drives are designed to the highest quality standards with field-proven components. They are backed by HGST worldwide technical support and integration services, enabling customers around the globe to bring their products to market quickly.

There's no entry for it in the HDD Platter Capacity database site (yet) ... so I can't confirm it;  but I suspect this is still an 800GB/platter unit with 5 platters.    No other manufacturer has achieved 7200rpm with their 4TB drives that use 1TB platters yet -- even the Enterprise class WD's and Seagates still use smaller platters.

No other manufacturer has achieved 7200rpm with their 1TB platters yet -- even the Enterprise class WD's and Seagates still use smaller platters.

Do you mean specifically for NAS branded HD's? 

The Seagate ST3000DM001 and ST2000DM001 units I have are all 7200 rpm 1TB/platter units.  The Seagate NAS versions of these HD's run at 5900 rpm, but I'm sure that's more for power consumption/heat than due to an inability to run at 7200 rpm.

No other manufacturer has achieved 7200rpm with their 1TB platters yet -- even the Enterprise class WD's and Seagates still use smaller platters.

Do you mean specifically for NAS branded HD's? 

The Seagate ST3000DM001 and ST2000DM001 units I have are all 7200 rpm 1TB/platter units.  The Seagate NAS versions of these HD's run at 5900 rpm, but I'm sure that's more for power consumption/heat than due to an inability to run at 7200 rpm.

No, what I actually meant to note was that 4TB drives using 1TB platters aren't yet available in 7200rpm units.  I corrected the post above to reflect that.

• 5 months later...