Adding an Encryption Layer

Right - to avoid derailing this thread any more I'll create a separate one with pics when I've got the Arduino working! :-)

Meanwhile - any comments on using something on the LAN to authenticate the unraid server and decrypt the drives?

Garage temp in winter is probably between 0 and 10 deg C most of the time, with excursions down to -5. the HDDs are 8TB Seagate archive drives which I think have a minimum operating temp of 5deg C. The drives will be spun down quite a lot of the time.

41 minutes ago, al_uk said:

The drives will be spun down quite a lot of the time.

This is the concern. If you had everything spun up all the time, the cold would be no issue at all. It's the relatively sudden temperature swing from 0c-30c as the drive comes online and starts working that is the issue.

Since this whole exercise is based on keeping temperature steady, and you have a ready supply of heat that needs to be removed, I'd look into possibly using the greenhouse wax motors that open and close vents allowing convection cooling, no fans required.

2 hours ago, jonathanm said:

It's the relatively sudden temperature swing from 0c-30c as the drive comes online and starts working that is the issue.

Exactly right. This happened to me when we lived in Colorado.  Had a server in an unheated building with drives spun down.  Temps got below freezing and I spun up all the drives for a parity check - lost about 5 drives out of 12 all at once.  First and only time I ever had more than one drive failure.  Thankfully didn't lose all the data, just the ones on those drives.  After that I started putting a cardboard box over the server.  That kept everything warm enough with drives spun down.  Of course, removed the box in the spring 8)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-5-17 at 10:03 PM, limetech said:

Exactly right. This happened to me when we lived in Colorado.  Had a server in an unheated building with drives spun down.  Temps got below freezing and I spun up all the drives for a parity check - lost about 5 drives out of 12 all at once.  First and only time I ever had more than one drive failure.  Thankfully didn't lose all the data, just the ones on those drives.  After that I started putting a cardboard box over the server.  That kept everything warm enough with drives spun down.  Of course, removed the box in the spring 8)

So you did a "server unboxing" each spring ! B|

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd post here instead of a new topic - 

Just wondering why cryptsetup is included with unRaid but doesn't work?

I would like to set up encryption on some drives outside of the array, but the kernel doesn't support the encryption.

I'm led to believe this is a simple thing to roll into the kernel, as others here have done said... why can't we get that by default when nearly every free distro supports it?  

Thanks.

J

• 3 months later...

*Offtopic*

Seeing as some of you asked here is my GarageRack! Air flow is in at the lower front through the mesh filters on the fan and out at the top rear. Arduino controls the PWM for the rack fans, but takes the power from a fan connector on the motherboard. Arduino also cuts the power to the rack fans below 17 deg C.

The CPU and drive fans inside the server case are all triggered from the Drive temperature using the IPMI plugin.

Ambient temp in the garage is about 12 deg C. Temp inside the cab is 18 deg C. Drive temps are set to centre around 30 deg C. We'll see how it goes as the outside temp drops.

There is a UPS underneath the server.

I'll tidy the cabling and edges up once I'm happy this all works properly. Test server will also go in this rack.

FRONT

IMG_20171020_113616.jpg.90a7b2b99aeea263a182df8e0a871bc2.jpg

BACK

IMG_20171020_113631.jpg.f489678b236d5b38f7b5eea1781584fb.jpg

INSIDE

IMG_20171020_113922.jpg.cc661fc7b8d37f49c4965fbb8ca2dbc3.jpg

• 2 months later...