CaptainSpalding

When is your unRAID powered on?

I was wondering how many of you users use their server 24/7 or just when watching/listening/configuring stuff?

EDIT: I forgot to say that I don't have the luxury of 24/7 as my apartment is all just one space and after doing parity/rebuild I really notice when the I power down and the fans are no longer spinning.

I think the PSU makes the most noise, anyone have good suggestions for powerful low-noise PSU?

would add one more option to your poll ...

something like when i am awake ....

i have one running 24/7 with sab and sickbeard

and one who shuts down at 01:00 AM and wakes up with Cron at 10.00 AM

if the kids were not around then i would make that wake up time even later but now they can hardly wait for the server to wake up :P

Rig 1: 24/7

Rig 2: Once a week to once a month depending on when I need to archive stuff to it.

Rig 1: 24/7

Rig 2: Once a week to once a month depending on when I need to archive stuff to it.

What he said...

All three of mine are on 24/7.

1. My ESXi box has other VM's on it.

2. My dedicated Crashplan box is always on with family and friends backing up to it

3. My physical test machine is always on

Mine is on 24/7 but running a business off the server means some times needing it off hours. I don't do s3 because I don't need the power savings but I do spin down all drives at one hour of in activity. My power supply is a corsare  850w 80% psu. The Main fan never kicks on because I made my system to run 20 drives and at this time I only have 10 drives. Making me only hit at most 30% of the power so the fan won't turn on unless I hit 80% or it gets hot but I have it in a machine room with the heater and water heater that room stays at 25c so it never gets hot.

Thornwood

Buy a PSU that's Bronze or higher rated. These often have fans that only spin when needed. Makes the PSU more efficient and keeps the noise down :-) My server is also virtualized under ESX and while noisy it's kept in a closet where I never see it :D

Copyright © 2005-2017 Lime Technology, Inc. unRAID® is a registered trademark of Lime Technology, Inc.