I've been running my array since 2010 24/7 without any problems which includes:

Unraid 4.7 with unMenu

Sempron 140

MSI 785GTM E45 

2gb DDR2

Corsair TX650 V2

2 x Promise SATA300 TX4 controllers

11 x 2tb hdd

Last Tuesday 3/26, I added some files to disk8 and ran a parity check.  There were errors and disk1, and disk 1 was red balled.  Instead of trouble shooting, I thought it would be easier just to power down and replace with a spare new 2tb drive I had.  I proceded to rebuild.  During the rebuild process I noticed that my disk 10 drive somehow became unformatted and was still green.  I didn't cancel the rebuild to see the results when finished.  The results were disk 1 was not rebuilt and still unformatted.  Disk 10 is unformatted.

I still have the Original disk 1 untouched, out of the array.

I pulled the syslog file from the flash folder on the network and put it in text (just now, so not sure if it will help).  I didn't know every time the array powers down, the syslog resets?  I included a short smart report of disk 10.

Is there any way I can recover data from disk 10?

Has any ever have this happen? red ball one disk then for some reason another is green but unformatted?

So, I have haven't done anything else to the array:

Just replaced disk 1 and tried to rebuild which failed.

I have added, deleted, or modified any files on the server since the parity check failed.

Since the array has been "no maintainence" I totally forgot the correct steps to troubleshoot.  I should have pulled syslog, smart tested, and come to the forum for help. AND NEVER rebooted or powered off.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeease HELP.

syslog_text.zip

smart_test_report_for_disk_10.zip

unraid_main.png.ba6a07e44311664cbb67b6efc014d84d.png

Hey I'm still fairly new to unRAID troubleshooting, but it seems your Syslog is logging all errors with disk 8 not disk 1 or 10. The errors have to do with I/O Control of Disk 8; maybe that should be the focus of your troubleshooting. You should be able to isolate it to the disk, controller or cable.

Good luck!!

If you have another computer with a Linux distribution installed, you could always take disk 10, and connect it to that computer.  This way you can see if the data is still there.  Granted you will now need another drive to put back in the server, but at least after the server is back up and running you could then manually transfer the data back over.

I tested the original redballed disk 1 with  disk internal linux reader, and it was able to read it and there was data.  It noted ReiserFS file system.

I shut down the array, and pulled out the hard drive cage which included disk 8, 9, 10 (disk 8, and 9 are fine.  disk 10 is "unformatted" and never redballed as I can tell, with good smart report).  Disk internal linux reader notes noted these disks as linux system and could not read them?  Not as ReiserFS file system? 

Not sure what that means?

Thanks.