[SOLVED] Backup UNRAID share to Crashplan?

I've been doing some searching today trying to educate myself on whether or not this is possible.  Everything I read, however, seems to point my needs in the opposite direction (sending Crashplan backups to UNRAID).  So I've decided that I'm confused and wonder if anyone could help me work this out in my head.

Is it possible to backup an UNRAID share to Crashplan?  I'm not a user of Crashplan (yet) so I can't say I'm all too familiar.  I have a media share on an UNRAID (free version of 5rc8 at the moment) box and I'd like to further backup my files to the cloud using Crashplan's service.

Is this possible?  Or am I doomed to forever confuse myself with my readings?  Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.  I wasn't sure if it belonged in plug-in design.

Is it possible to backup an UNRAID share to Crashplan?  I'm not a user of Crashplan (yet) so I can't say I'm all too familiar.  I have a media share on an UNRAID (free version of 5rc8 at the moment) box and I'd like to further backup my files to the cloud using Crashplan's service.

Is this possible?  Or am I doomed to forever confuse myself with my readings?  Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.  I wasn't sure if it belonged in plug-in design.

I am backing up one of my UnRAID shares to the Crashplan cloud as I type this.  It has been chugging away for six weeks with a couple more weeks to go, although, the speed has gone from bad to worse, so, who really knows when it will end.  Right now Crashplan has some severe problems with upload speeds for a good share of users.  They have done a very poor job of communicating with customers what is going on.  In fact, they have been mostly silent and have, until recently, just ignored the problem hoping it would go away.  They have given no indication what (if anything) they intend to do to resolve the problem or when (if ever) a resolution can be expected.  The one post by a Code 42 employee acknowledging the problem in their very active discussion forum for this issue was quickly deleted.  They also raised their prices by 25-50% depending on the plan and length of service you choose.

I am not too happy with Crashplan right now, but, it is the only option for backing up unRAID.  Others, such as Backblaze for example, will not back up network attached drives/storage and they do not have a Linux version

Thank you both.  After reading through the thread provided by prostuff1 and given the frustrations expressed by Hoopster, would it be possible to give this plugin mash-up a go without a cache drive?  As noted in my original post, I currently utilize the Basic version of UNRAID (which disallows the use of a cache drive).

Thank you both.  After reading through the thread provided by prostuff1 and given the frustrations expressed by Hoopster, would it be possible to give this plugin mash-up a go without a cache drive?  As noted in my original post, I currently utilize the Basic version of UNRAID (which disallows the use of a cache drive).

A cache drive is not a necessity for unRAID or Crashplan.  Although I have a cache drive configured, it is removed from the system right now as I intend to replace it.  The share I am backing up to Crashplan does not use the cache drive even when installed.

Hoopster, do you believe that the utilization of a chache drive helps to alleviate the speed issues you are seeing?  For example, if I were not to utilize a cache drive, would I expect several MORE weeks than you are seeing (all else being equal; drive sizes, data, etc.)?

I don't think the presence or absence of the cache drive would affect uploads speeds at all.  It's really a non-factor.  The cache drive is only for buffering writes to the unRAID array so parity calculation does not slow down initial writes.  Crashplan is backing up the data once it hits the unRAID share, it doesn't even look at the cache drive (unless for some strange reason, you pointed Crashplan at the cache drive as a backup source).

I am currently backing up my Pictures share (543 GB).  It does not use the cache drive.  If it did, it would just mean that pictures, when first copied to the array, would go to the cache drive and then be moved to the Pictures share as scheduled by the mover.  During this second write, parity is calculated and the pictures become part of the protected array.  Crashplan doesn't "see" the pictures until they get to the share.  While backing up a share, you can add content all you want (I have done this several times during the last six weeks) and Crashplan will add them to the data to be backed up.  Again, the cache drive (present or not) should have zero affect on Crashplan backup speeds.

Hoopster, do you believe that the utilization of a chache drive helps to alleviate the speed issues you are seeing?  For example, if I were not to utilize a cache drive, would I expect several MORE weeks than you are seeing (all else being equal; drive sizes, data, etc.)?

I don't think the presence or absence of the cache drive would affect uploads speeds at all.  It's really a non-factor.  The cache drive is only for buffering writes to the unRAID array so parity calculation does not slow down initial writes.  Crashplan is backing up the data once it hits the unRAID share, it doesn't even look at the cache drive (unless for some strange reason, you pointed Crashplan at the cache drive as a backup source).

I am currently backing up my Pictures share (543 GB).  It does not use the cache drive.  If it did, it would just mean that pictures, when first copied to the array, would go to the cache drive and then be moved to the Pictures share as scheduled by the mover.  During this second write, parity is calculated and the pictures become part of the protected array.  Crashplan doesn't "see" the pictures until they get to the share.  While backing up a share, you can add content all you want (I have done this several times during the last six weeks) and Crashplan will add them to the data to be backed up.  Again, the cache drive (present or not) should have zero affect on Crashplan backup speeds.

That's a great explanation.  I re-read your previous reply and understood what you were saying (alt-tab at work is both a wonderful and detrimental thing), then deleted my question.  Regardless, thanks for taking the time to reply anyways, I appreciate it.  What you say makes total sense.  I'll take a look at those complaints on speed you were referencing and see if I can't give it a go anyways (for better or worse).