CrashPlan & CrashPlan GUI Merger Plugin

So I'm having an issue with no longer being able to access crashplan via ssh and then run my client.  I've have a tunnel set within putty to forward the port correctly but whenever I run the crashplan gui from my desktop it always connects to my desktop pc and not my unraid box.  I have the ui.properites file configured to serviceport 4200.  I ran a grep -na | grep listen | grep 42 and I don't see port 4243 listed anywhere.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Running into the same issue here and I'm at a loss to figure it out. It's been a couple of weeks since CP on my uRaid box has been backing up while I've been trying to figure out a way to get re-connected but to no avail.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I apologize if this has been answered in this post, but I could not locate it. It seems that the CrashPlan plugin is designed to utilize the free service and backup files locally. I have over 30TB of data that I want to backup to the web with a paid service. Where can I change the settings to upload to my account there or should I use another computer to do that and map to the UnRaid data?

You can buy a backup plan at their site and enter the serial number they send you to the crashplan desktop app connected to your crashplan engine on unraid...

Then the headless engine will be able to backup to CrashPlan Central...

So I'm having an issue with no longer being able to access crashplan via ssh and then run my client.  I've have a tunnel set within putty to forward the port correctly but whenever I run the crashplan gui from my desktop it always connects to my desktop pc and not my unraid box.  I have the ui.properites file configured to serviceport 4200.  I ran a grep -na | grep listen | grep 42 and I don't see port 4243 listed anywhere.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Running into the same issue here and I'm at a loss to figure it out. It's been a couple of weeks since CP on my uRaid box has been backing up while I've been trying to figure out a way to get re-connected but to no avail.

Check out step no. 1 - Copy the Authentication Token on their updated guide for headless server - http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Configuring/Using_CrashPlan_On_A_Headless_Computer

Solved it for me...

Wow, that was quite an ordeal.

For those who might stumble across it in the future, despite the change in the way v4.3 does it's connection, the old conf directory with the ui.properties file is not removed. That file, however, appears to be completely ignored now. Also, the directions for headless installation are, at the least, incomplete. I apologize if this has been covered on a previous page. I'm going to leave it here unless someone has an objection. If for no other reason than I can find it again in two years when I have to make changes to the configuration and can't remember what I did.

So...

1. go find the unRaid computer id in /var/lib/crashplan/.ui_info as mentioned in http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Configuring/Using_CrashPlan_On_A_Headless_Computer (it is, of course, hidden... ls -a will show it for those who have forgotten [like me])

2. go find the Local (Win) .ui_info file - it should be at c:\ProgramData\CrashPlan\.ui_info  (and ProgramData is hidden, so turn on hidden files or type in the path c:\ProgramData\Crashplan\ in the Explorer path bar)

3. make a backup copy of the existing local .ui_info file, then open the original .ui_info file and replace 4243 with 4200 and [local-id-string] with the unraid id string you found in step 1

4. save .ui_info

---here's where the missing part is---

5. go into the \ProgramData\CrashPlan\conf directory and make a backup copy of ui_[uSERNAME].properties, then open it and change servicePort=4243 to servicePort=4200

6. NOW, SSH into the unRaid box using the L4200 4243 port map per the original instructions

7. run the crashplan app

7a. this failed for me the first time, so with the PuTTY session open, I right clicked on the title bar of the PuTTY session and chose Change Settings... then went to Connection|SSH|Tunnels and clicked "Apply", then it connected fine

8. undo all that stuff to go back to managing the local computer's crashplan account.

• 5 weeks later...

I have moved this topic to the 'Plugins (V5)' board, because it was for v5, and the OP does not mention v6.  I do see a mention of a v6 plugin recently, but no evidence of it.  If I was wrong, and it IS used in a v6 installation, my apologies, just let me know, and I'll move it back.

I'm using it in Docker form, but this fix works for that, so that information should be copied to the relevant docker thread, or at least linked.

I'm not sure what info you're referring to, so could you take care of that?  If you need me to do anything, just let me know exactly what you want, and where.

I'm using it in Docker form, but this fix works for that, so that information should be copied to the relevant docker thread, or at least linked.

I'm not sure what info you're referring to, so could you take care of that?  If you need me to do anything, just let me know exactly what you want, and where.

I have prepared a guide for the CrashPlan Docker(s). If you find it useful feel free to use it. Link in my signature.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a problem with the CrashPlan GUI not connecting to the backup engine. I figured out how to make it work so I'm posting here to help others and maybe help myself if I ever need to come back and remind myself how to do it again :)  The problem is similar to what others have described.  After installing the engine and then the gui it all worked great until I restarted unRAID.  After the restart the GUI would not connect to the backend.  When I say GUI, I mean RDP into the unRAID server and log in using ubuntu/PASSWD.  I know the backend was actually running because the Crashplan website showed progress over the couple of days it took me to figure this out.

The FIX.... I found the relevant information in Leifgg's document

• Stop the GUI docker container & the backup engine docker container.

1. use PUTTY to log into unRAID as root
  2. EDIT FILE:  /crashplan/data/config/conf/ui.properties --- set serviceHost to the IP of my unRAID server and the have the servicePort set to 4243
  3. EDIT FILE:  /crashplan/data/config/conf/my.service.xml --- The serviceHost>needs to be set to 0.0.0.0 and the servicePort shold be 4243
  4. Start the backup engine container
  5. Start the GUI container
  6. RDP to unRAID IP, the GUI will start and successfully connect.

NOTE:  When installing the GUI I did successfully map the IP container port from 3389 to 3387 (because I already have another container using 3389)  So when I RDP into unraid it's to 3387.

• 1 month later...

I've been having what sounds like a similar issue to some in this thread of late, where my Crashplan no longer runs the nightly scheduled backup, and I can't connect to it from my local headless install.

I started to follow Jordan's steps from earlier in the thread, but I don't see a .ui_info file anywhere on the unraid server, including when I unhide with the " -a" parameter. I also didn't see the .ui_info file on my local desktop install either until I upgraded my local Crashplan windows version and now I see it.

I am still on v5.0.6 and using the plugin (not the docker). When I go to the browser UI for unraid and go to the Crashplan settings, it says it is enabled and installed in /mnt/cache/apps/crashplan

Any ideas where to go from here?

I've been having what sounds like a similar issue to some in this thread of late, where my Crashplan no longer runs the nightly scheduled backup, and I can't connect to it from my local headless install.

I started to follow Jordan's steps from earlier in the thread, but I don't see a .ui_info file anywhere on the unraid server, including when I unhide with the " -a" parameter. I also didn't see the .ui_info file on my local desktop install either until I upgraded my local Crashplan windows version and now I see it.

I am still on v5.0.6 and using the plugin (not the docker). When I go to the browser UI for unraid and go to the Crashplan settings, it says it is enabled and installed in /mnt/cache/apps/crashplan

Any ideas where to go from here?

My crashplan broke on October 12, and I just noticed.  I'm running Crashplan.3.6.3.64bit.plg on v6.

It looks like there was an upgrade downloaded which died.  I have a bunch of files in /usr/local/crashplan/upgrade, with some errors there.  I can't start crashplanengine now (missing a JAR file).  I'll look into it and report back if I figure it out.

#/etc/rc.d/rc.CrashPlanEngine start
Could not find JAR file /usr/local/crashplan/bin/../lib/com.backup42.desktop.jar

and here is the log of what happened to the missing JAR file...

root@Tower:/usr/local/crashplan/upgrade/1430802000433.1444699594878# cat upgrade
.log
======================================================
Mon Oct 12 21:27:39 EDT 2015 : /mnt/cache/.apps/crashplan/cp_bin/upgrade/1430802
000433.1444699594878/upgrade2.sh
Mon Oct 12 21:27:39 EDT 2015 : Current CrashPlan Backup Engine:
root     21108     1  0 21:17 pts/0    00:00:04 /usr/local/crashplan/jre/bin/jav
a -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dapp=CrashPlanService -DappBaseName=CrashPlan -Xms20m -
Xmx1224m -Dsun.net.inetaddr.ttl=300 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.ttl=300 -Dsun.net.ine
taddr.negative.ttl=0 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.negative.ttl=0 -Dc42.native.md5.enab
led=false -classpath /usr/local/crashplan/lib/com.backup42.desktop.jar:/usr/loca
l/crashplan/lang com.backup42.service.CPService
Mon Oct 12 21:27:44 EDT 2015 : Removing old jar files...
removed '../../lib/com.backup42.desktop.jar'
Mon Oct 12 21:27:44 EDT 2015 : Moving existing native libs from lib to app dir..
mv: cannot stat '../../lib/*.so': No such file or directory

My Crashplan installation also broke about a month ago. The latest version that worked was 4.3. I think more recent versions require JRE 1.7 (which isn't called by the ancient plugin that I'm using). I haven't had time to investigate and am using this as a reason to upgrade Unraid from 5.0.x to 6.x.

• 4 weeks later...

I was able to get my Crashplan installation running again on Unraid 5.0.x.  My Crashplan was stuck on 4.3.0.

1) I telnetted into Tower and uninstalled Crashplan per https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Troubleshooting/CrashPlan_App_Version_4.4.1_On_Linux_Does_Not_Back_Up

2) I downloaded the latest Linux Crashplan and installed it using same instructions above.

3) Then I had to authenticate my Crashplan login info on the Unraid machine.  I followed the instructions in the link below to convert my OSX Crashplan client app to control the unRAID Crashplan installation:

https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Configuring/Using_CrashPlan_On_A_Headless_Computer

4) Once I fired up the client app, I entered in my Crashplan.com credentials and everything started working normally again.

EDIT: To make sure my Mac didn't back up an entirely new set to Tower, I had to do the following:

a) In Crashplan client app-Backup-Inbound, clicked on Mac's name

b) Next to Location, clicked the folder icon

c) Selected the desired folder name

• 2 weeks later...

Strangely enough, my CrashPlan started working again after a power outage (after not working for about 3 months). I had tried rebooting/shutting down the unRAID server several times before to no avail, but for some reason the restart the power outage caused got my CrashPlan working again. I still can't connect to the headless install from my Windows client though.

Strangely enough, my CrashPlan started working again after a power outage (after not working for about 3 months). I had tried rebooting/shutting down the unRAID server several times before to no avail, but for some reason the restart the power outage caused got my CrashPlan working again. I still can't connect to the headless install from my Windows client though.

You're running unRAID 5.x, correct?  Which version of Crashplan is running on UnRAID?  When my installation was stuck at 4.3, it half-worked.  I could back up to UnRAID from my other PCs but the files on UnRAID no longer backed up to the Crashplan Central.  I also couldn't connect to the headless install despite trying the newer technique involving the authentication tokens, etc.  But once I got Crashplan 4.4.1 installed, these headless connection instructions worked fine (and backups from UnRAID to Crashplan Central resumed):

https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Configuring/Using_CrashPlan_On_A_Headless_Computer

You're running unRAID 5.x, correct?  Which version of Crashplan is running on UnRAID?  When my installation was stuck at 4.3, it half-worked.  I could back up to UnRAID from my other PCs but the files on UnRAID no longer backed up to the Crashplan Central.  I also couldn't connect to the headless install despite trying the newer technique involving the authentication tokens, etc.  But once I got Crashplan 4.4.1 installed, these headless connection instructions worked fine (and backups from UnRAID to Crashplan Central resumed):

Correct, I am running unRAID v5.0.6. It is definitely backing up to Crashplan Central (as of last night) because I verified some files that were created yesterday are in my restore list. Looks like I am on version 4.3.3 of Crashplan on the unRAID box. I tried those instructions for the headless install but still wasn't able to connect. I went through it pretty quickly so I'll have to try again. Part of the problem was I couldn't find the .ui_info file on the unRAID box.

Part of the problem was I couldn't find the .ui_info file on the unRAID box.

I just used the WebGUI file explorer on unRAID.  On Main tab, click the folder/magnifying glass icon to the far right of Flash.  Then .ui_info shows up right under /boot.  If you click .ui_info, then the browser shows you a preview of those contents (which you can copy/paste).

Part of the problem was I couldn't find the .ui_info file on the unRAID box.

I just used the WebGUI file explorer on unRAID.  On Main tab, click the folder/magnifying glass icon to the far right of Flash.  Then .ui_info shows up right under /boot.  If you click .ui_info, then the browser shows you a preview of those contents (which you can copy/paste).

Yeah it's not there for me.

i-Pv7G2HJ-M.png

• 4 weeks later...

I was able to get my Crashplan installation running again on Unraid 5.0.x.  My Crashplan was stuck on 4.3.0.

1) I telnetted into Tower and uninstalled Crashplan per https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Troubleshooting/CrashPlan_App_Version_4.4.1_On_Linux_Does_Not_Back_Up

2) I downloaded the latest Linux Crashplan and installed it using same instructions above.

3) Then I had to authenticate my Crashplan login info on the Unraid machine.  I followed the instructions in the link below to convert my OSX Crashplan client app to control the unRAID Crashplan installation:

4) Once I fired up the client app, I entered in my Crashplan.com credentials and everything started working normally again.

EDIT: To make sure my Mac didn't back up an entirely new set to Tower, I had to do the following:

a) In Crashplan client app-Backup-Inbound, clicked on Mac's name

c) Selected the desired folder name

Thank you very much! I had been putting off trying to get this working again, but wanted to get a full backup processed before upgrading to unRAID 6. I was able to figure out from the logs that it was a Java version issue, but wasn't sure how to resolve it. I followed steps 1-4 and got it going again. During the install process, it errored out because the Java JRE had a new URL and the certificate didn't match. I had to modify line 325 of the install.sh file from this:

$WGET_PATH $JVMURL

to this:

$WGET_PATH --no-check-certificate $JVMURL

After that, I had to uninstall CrashPlan again and then the install process went through smoothly. I did not have to do steps a-c as my backup locations were remembered automatically (for both incoming and outgoing).

During the install process, I just accepted all of the defaults. I'm thinking this setup will not survive a reboot; have you attempted that yet? I was planning on upgrading to unRAID 6 anyway, so hopefully the next time I turn off my unRAID 5 setup will be my last.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My Crashplan installation (for Unraid 5.0.x using the old plugin method) became stuck on 4.5.2 (due to a Java download issue) so I had to manually intervene to get it to install to 4.6.0.  Here's what I did (similar to what I posted above but with a few more details):

cd /boot/packages/crashplan-install

sudo ./uninstall.sh -i /usr/local/crashplan

2) I downloaded the latest Linux Crashplan from Code42 and installed it using same instructions above, i.e.,

Extracted CrashPlan_4.6.0_Linux.tgz into my Unraid flash drive - in my case /boot/packages/

3) Downloaded JRE from https://download2.code42.com/installs/proserver/jre/jre-7-linux-i586.tgz

4) Copied jre-7-linux-i586.tgz to /boot/packages/crashplan-install [not sure if necessary buy I also "chmod 777 jre-7-linux-i586.tgz"]

5) cd /boot/packages/crashplan-install

sudo ./install.sh

During the installation prompts, be sure to change the file backup location from the default /usr/local/var/crashplan to your own location. In my case, /mnt/user/Backup-unraid/Backup and Clones/CrashPlan/  I was able to use the default locations for all other prompts.

4) Once I fired up the client app, I entered in my Crashplan.com credentials and my computers immediately started trying to backup to Tower.  Unfortunately, it seems to want to create a new backup location folder (despite trying to point to the correct location).  So I had to immediately do the following since it starts creating new backup files:

a) In Crashplan client app: click Backup, then click on Mac's name under the Inbound header

c) Selected the desired folder name for the existing backup location (in my case, a folder name with an 18-digit number)

I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to Linux.  There are probably other ways to do this such as kuchta's method above modifying the install.sh file.  My Crashplan installation kept downloading 4.6.0 and installing it every hour but would fail.  After failing, it would then restart 4.5.2.  I couldn't figure out where to modify the install.sh file for the upgrade files it was auto-downloading.  That's why I resorted to uninstalling and reinstalling (and manually copying the necessary jre files into the installation folder on the flash drive).

And for other non-Linux users: During troubleshooting, I found the Crashplan log files on the cache drive where I installed Crashplan: /Volumes/cache/.crashplan/cp_bin/log