CrashPlan & CrashPlan GUI Merger Plugin

Hello,

I followed your instructions and they are working - great

but as soon as I reboot my unraid - nothing happens, I have to delete the folders again und reinstall everything.

also stopping crashplan and starting again after changing for example the xmem variables- results in not starting crashplan

any idea ?

thanks

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't changed anything from default which in my case is

/usr/local/crashplan which is a symlink to /var/local/crashplan/cp_bin/

but the problem is that the installation routine is not running through as long as there is a folder on the flash drive (flash\config\plugins\CrashPlan)

when I delete this - I can click on start and everything works fine - but I lose all my previous configuration

What do you have as the install directory? Only /mnt and /boot folders will survive a reboot. Everything else is only in RAM.

Nice, thanks! It's now persistent across reboots once I moved to /mnt/disk1.

Question - what's the recommended location, within the array or on cache drive? I'm noticing that disk1 and cache are now not spinning down, even though I have no backups running (e.g. right now it's only installed but I have not even connected via the tool to configure anything). Is this normal?

Many of us put our apps on a cache-only share so we don't spin the array drives. If you do that be sure to set the share to use cache only or else mover will move it to the array. I am not using Crashplan now but I did try out this plugin for a while. Don't know if it normally keeps a drive spinning or not.

Many of us put our apps on a cache-only share so we don't spin the array drives. If you do that be sure to set the share to use cache only or else mover will move it to the array. I am not using Crashplan now but I did try out this plugin for a while. Don't know if it normally keeps a drive spinning or not.

Worked like a charm. Thanks, Trurl! Now all array drives spin down except for the cache. Interestingly, when I had it loaded on /mnt/disk1, it kept disks 1, 3, and 8 spun up although all files were stored only on disk 1 (disks 3 and 8 still showed as "empty").

Anyway - on to seeing if I can configure it!

• 4 weeks later...

Is there any simple things to get mixed up with doing this?

CrashPlan is running on my unRaid

Have set the serviceport to 4200

PuTTy is running with the settings (4200 / localhost:4243)

But when i open crashplan it just opens locally and wants to start backing up files

Anyone?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New Crashplan 3.6.3 merged with the gui plugin

best way to install is

remove previous crashplan plg and crashplan gui plg from /boot/config/plugins

add the new Crashplan.3.6.3.plg to /boot/config/plugins (rename the download from Crashplan.3.6.3.plg.txt to Crashplan.3.6.3.plg)

rename your backup in your install dir from crashplan_backup.tgz to crashplan_backup.old

rename cp_bin folder to CP_bin.old

installplg /boot/config/plugins/Crashplan.3.6.3.plg

this will take some time as he will download the new crashplan package

go to the webpage in your GUI

check the installdir if it is correct

enable the plugin

start the plugin

BE AWARE he will download a new Java version which can take a long time to download

look into /boot/temp and you will see the java version .... when you refresh you will see it grow slowly in size ... i think it should become about 32mb

when the /boot/temp dir dissapears then it is completely installed

you should have a window like the one attached

if you want you can delete the old backup and the old cp_bin folder

you can still change the serviceport in c:\Program Files\CrashPlan\conf\ui.properties

so after the installation set the serviceport -> open putty with the port forwarded - > double click on the crashplan tray icon

wait till server window opens

select existing account

add your credentials

IF necessary select which server he needs to adapt too .... (weird one this... on one of my servers he asked to choose which server he needed to take over,  on the other server he took the right account right away)

And all finished

Edited for typo's

Followed your instructions and I can't get Crashplan started. I saw it downloaded Java and the temp folder go away but when I click start it waits and refreshes and still shows stopped. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Running unraid 5.0

(noticed my icons aren't working that page for some reason)

Syslog: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hwhi25b7trt4fpl/syslog-2014-04-18.txt

Got it working. Wanted to share what I did.

First I upgraded to 5.0.5 (though I don't think this had anything to do with it)

I installed the required plugins (ssh,ssl,cpio) from unmenu then ran the installplg which updated the versions of the plugins but I guess kept some of the settings. After that CrashPlan was able to start on the server.

Then I ran into an issue with being unable to connect to the engine. The problem here for me was my install on my windows machine was messed up, did a uninstall of crashplan and reinstall and everything was working :)

Now it's doing the initial backup! Very happy it's working, may need to add some stuff to my go script as I think the version of openssh dosen't start on it's own but that's down the line.

Followed your instructions and I can't get Crashplan started. I saw it downloaded Java and the temp folder go away but when I click start it waits and refreshes and still shows stopped. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Running unraid 5.0

I'm having almost the same issue.  Installed CrashPlan 3.6.3 (first install ever, I didn't have a previous version), and I have the same page as CrashnBrn.  Broken icons, and it appears I can start/stop crashplan, but there is no GUI tab on my settings page (just one for CrashPlan).

ca980686_o.jpeg

I thought this new plugin was supposed to install the GUI and CrashPlan both...?

I'm having almost the same issue.  Installed CrashPlan 3.6.3 (first install ever, I didn't have a previous version), and I have the same page as CrashnBrn.  Broken icons, and it appears I can start/stop crashplan, but there is no GUI tab on my settings page (just one for CrashPlan).

I thought this new plugin was supposed to install the GUI and CrashPlan both...?

Hey lannister did you see my reply to myself?

Also with the new plugin there should only be one GUI tab like in the picture you listed (they combined them). I'll try to help troubleshoot.

Where are you stuck? Are you able to tunnel using ssh? or can you not connect? Does it not start?

Also with the new plugin there should only be one GUI tab like in the picture you listed (they combined them). I'll try to help troubleshoot.

Where are you stuck? Are you able to tunnel using ssh? or can you not connect? Does it not start?

Ah, this post?

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=24875.msg303986#msg303986

I thought there would be a web GUI that would allow me to change the crashplan parameters (like getting and setting the codes for other machines to pack up to/from).  Is that instead contained in a config file?  Or should I be sshing into some port?  I haven't the faintest idea how to interact with this thing.  Thanks!

I'm very unclear on the directions.

EDIT: I see something about a "service port" in the instructions, but the author refers to a "c:\Program Files\CrashPlan\conf\ui.properties" Windows path. So that can't be on the unraid box...

EDIT2: OK, looked in /usr/local/crashplan/conf (even though that's not the path I want it at) and I see ui.properties.  Looks like a service runs on port 4243.  I started CrashPlan via the web plugin (pictured above) and it appears there is now something listening on port 4243.

root@Tower:~# netstat -a | grep 4243
tcp        0      0 Tower:4243              *:*                     LISTEN

Now what?

Ah, this post?

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=24875.msg303986#msg303986

I thought there would be a web GUI that would allow me to change the crashplan parameters (like getting and setting the codes for other machines to pack up to/from).  Is that instead contained in a config file?  Or should I be sshing into some port?  I haven't the faintest idea how to interact with this thing.  Thanks!

I'm very unclear on the directions.

EDIT: I see something about a "service port" in the instructions, but the author refers to a "c:\Program Files\CrashPlan\conf\ui.properties" Windows path. So that can't be on the unraid box...

Yup, the way it works is that there is no GUI on the unraid box aside from what you see now. You use ssh tunneling in order to connect the crashplan GUI on your windows/osx computer to your unraid machine. So for example when you tunnel and open the crashplan gui on your windows/osx box it will think it's connecting to your unraid box.

If you have unraid running the plugin then you can follow the instructions from the first page from step "Installation (PC/MAC):" That will tell you how to connect to your unraid crashplan engine.

Let me know if it's still not clear and I can write up a more detailed step by step :)

Yup, the way it works is that there is no GUI on the unraid box aside from what you see now. You use ssh tunneling in order to connect the crashplan GUI on your windows/osx computer to your unraid machine. So for example when you tunnel and open the crashplan gui on your windows/osx box it will think it's connecting to your unraid box.

If you have unraid running the plugin then you can follow the instructions from the first page from step "Installation (PC/MAC):" That will tell you how to connect to your unraid crashplan engine.

Let me know if it's still not clear and I can write up a more detailed step by step :)

Ah, that makes perfect sense.  Two questions, then:

(a) The source of most of the files I want to keep backed up is from my Mac. Does that mean that I cannot run CrashPlan on my Mac and UnRaid at the same time?  Or do I only need to use the Mac client to configure the UnRaid CrashPlan daemon, and then I can switch the Mac client back to its normal operating mode? 

(b) Kind of along the lines of the above, but I don't need to leave the Mac client software set to connect to the unRaid CrashPlan daemon forever, do I?  Unless I want to change something?

Ah, that makes perfect sense.  Two questions, then:

(a) The source of most of the files I want to keep backed up is from my Mac. Does that mean that I cannot run CrashPlan on my Mac and UnRaid at the same time?  Or do I only need to use the Mac client to configure the UnRaid CrashPlan daemon, and then I can switch the Mac client back to its normal operating mode? 

(b) Kind of along the lines of the above, but I don't need to leave the Mac client software set to connect to the unRaid CrashPlan daemon forever, do I?  Unless I want to change something?

a.  Assuming you are backing up online it depends on the license. If you have a multi-computer license you can do from both. If you want to switch back to the mac version you just have to comment out the port in the ui file and it will go back to normal.

b. You only need to open the gui for the intial connection and if you want to make changes to what's being backuped from unraid/check status. Once the inital connection is made you don't need to do it anymore or leave the gui open/connect to unraid.

a.  Assuming you are backing up online it depends on the license. If you have a multi-computer license you can do from both. If you want to switch back to the mac version you just have to comment out the port in the ui file and it will go back to normal.

b. You only need to open the gui for the intial connection and if you want to make changes to what's being backuped from unraid/check status. Once the inital connection is made you don't need to do it anymore or leave the gui open/connect to unraid.

I had a chance to try this out last night, and I believe sshd is not running on my unRaid box.  While there is something listening on port 4243, I don't see anything listening on port 22 or anything related to ssh:

tcp        0      0 *:6881                  *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:nfsd                  *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:afpovertcp            *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:time                  *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:netbios-ssn           *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:sunrpc                *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:8080                  *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:http                  *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:8081                  *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:4242                  *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:8082                  *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 Tower:4243              *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:8083                  *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:8084                  *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:52532                 *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:ftp                   *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:59125                 *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:telnet                *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:45915                 *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 Tower:4700              *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:microsoft-ds          *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:3551                  *:*                     LISTEN

sshd is definitely installed, but not running.  How do I start it up correctly?

EDIT: Never mind, got it running!  All is well.

I have a couple "helper" applications (one for windows, one for OS X) that facilitates connecting the local crashplan GUI to the unRAID server instance.  I will try to make some time this week to clean them up a little bit and post them for people to use.

I was just super-confused that you have to use the Mac or Windows client software to talk to the CrashPlan installation on UnRaid.  All the talk of "GUI" made me think there would be a web GUI to configure *all* the options, not just a basic one to get the software up and running.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Guys - i was hoping one of you could lend a hand...

followed the instructions for 3.6.3 on #74:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=24875.msg293487#msg293487

installed the plugin from scratch (no previous install) using the "Crashplan.3.6.3.plg" file.

installed it onto my cache drive, it appeared to install java (saw the temp file come and go).

now looking at the plugin in Unraid 5.0.5, it says "stopped" and doesn't switch to "running" at all.

trying to SSH in, no problem, using openSSH on unraid via a plugin.

when running Crashplan from the remote MAC via SSL, obviously get a channel 3: connect failed error because the crashplan plugin isn't working.

any thoughts? screenshot attached.

thank you in advance!

Screen_Shot_2014-05-28_at_8_28.16_PM.png.68b46d009af00890b40de54bc4c18de9.png