HELP - Drives aren't assigned, should I just assign them and start?

I previously had 4.7 running, but I wanted to try plex out so decided to upgrade to 5, I updated the files, rebooted it came up I navigated a bit then left it, it became unresponsive, I rebooted the server but it wouldnt come back up, that was last night I had to wait till today to find a vga cable so i could plug a monitor in, and it comes up with ebios load error - boot error. So I tried putting 4.7 on it, same thing, so I wiped the drive and copied the latest 5.0 on copied across the pro.key, share.cfg, disk.cfg and the shares folder, I booted and this time it booted, however, going to the main page and no disks are assigned, I know the old positions, if I just set them back up and start the array will that work?  Or would it erase everything?

If the disks were already formatted by unRAID and you put all disks back in the proper slots, everything should be OK.

Be careful, if you put the wrong drive in the parity slot it could cause issues.

I would probably assign all my drives before adding parity. Check everything, then add parity and do a parity sync.

I experienced a similar problem when trying to follow the "remove drive" procedure here:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/FAQ_remove_drive

I'm not sure why, but after I removed disk13, the webGUI complained that there were "no drives" in the array, even though I only removed one.

When I performed an 'initconfig' and rebooted, sure enough, there were no drives in my array!

After my initial panic subsided a bit, I realized there was a super.old file on my flash drive that was my configuration before I tried to remove disk13.

After renaming super.old to super.dat and rebooting the server, all was well.

thanks WeeboTech and bman, in the end I just assigned them to the right slots and started it, it told me the parity was disabled, i shut down, made sure all the cable were seated properly, restarted and the parity showed up as a new disk, so I started a parity sync, all my data appeared to be there :)