USB to memory card adaptor - GUID fixed or dynamic - collecting models/options

NAS

Anybody using the Kingston G4 yet?  The G3s are getting hard to find.

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-MobileLite-Multi-Function-FCR-MLG4/dp/B00KX4TORI

Asked on Amazon and got:

After consulting with Kingston Support, the answers are:

1) Yes. It has it's unique GUID

2) No, it cannot boot from any of the two ports

Kingston Technology U.S. Sales Support - End User +1 (800) 835-6575

U.S./Canada Technical Support +1 (800) 435-0640 +1 (714) 435-2639

My experience with this one.

1. It does NOT have a unique GUID, Tom reported it as duplicate.

2. Boots from the SD card port. (at least on my HP Micro Servers).

@WeeboTech: Seems like my post waked you up :)

Btw, One more to the NO list:

Samsung Electronics 16GB EVO Micro SDHC with USB 2.0 Reader Class 10 Memory Card

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JEVHZK4/

I own only one unit but did search on Google for it's serial and found it is not really unique, not even unique to these samsung readers apparently, the reader seems based on a realtek chip and there are a few other readers with same realtek chip and same same serial... :(

58aad760ca6de_71DbYbTR0L._SL1500_.jpg.fc8e6376afbe321d61b203156329cc3b.jpg

Yes, I wanted to post what I had before people wasted money.

I have a new solution I'm working on that should satisfy all parties.

I'll post when unRAID 6 is released.

Yes, unfortunately seems a PITA to find an usable one :(  Will be waiting your solution, thanks ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-MobileLite-Multi-Function-FCR-MLG4/dp/B00KX4TORI

Asked on Amazon and got:

My experience with this one.

1. It does NOT have a unique GUID, Tom reported it as duplicate.

2. Boots from the SD card port. (at least on my HP Micro Servers).

Ok, exactly the opposite of my experience (in the last 20 minutes), just received one from Amazon yesterday..

DOES boot from MicroSD port (Gigabyte MB)

IS a registrable GUID (on v6b10a)

Flash Vendor:    Generic-

Flash Product:    USB3.0_CRW_-SD

Flash GUID:        0BDA-0326-0000-xxxxxxxxxxxx

Registered to:    Unregistered

rick.p: sure it is unique? it appears realtek based like the Samsung I did posted above... try an 'lsusb' to get the full serial from it (shown as 'iSerial'), because serial it's often partial on unraid guid, missing some digits at left... then search the full serial on Google, if you can find it then it is not unique and despite not yet blocked it may get blocked on the future... I did found mine on usbflashspeed.com, they seem to list details of a lot of flash drives / card readers, guess they build db automatically from some speed test tool...

It should not stop working on an actual version you are running on your server, since AFAIK no online check is made at all, currently... but you may find it blocked later when you update to a new version... if that happens I believe that contacting Limetech and explaining the problem it may get solved asking to move that license to a different flash drive guid, since the same seems usually also possible even when a flash drive dies... but not an officially granted thing.

• 5 months later...

I will and report back, but the question then. If I registered this now (since it shows it can be) then later it's decided that it's blocked... Would my registration key die? Server not start up?

Hi Rick, so far so good with the G4?

I'm looking to get another mobilelite (already have two G3s) but the G3s are not available anymore.

PS: How does Tom know whether a GUID is unique or not? Buy more than one reader and compare?

I will and report back, but the question then. If I registered this now (since it shows it can be) then later it's decided that it's blocked... Would my registration key die? Server not start up?

Hi Rick, so far so good with the G4?

I'm looking to get another mobilelite (already have two G3s) but the G3s are not available anymore.

PS: How does Tom know whether a GUID is unique or not? Buy more than one reader and compare?

He'd know for sure if he ever got a request with a guid already in what I assume is a database of guids and licences

Yes, I wanted to post what I had before people wasted money.

I have a new solution I'm working on that should satisfy all parties.

I'll post when unRAID 6 is released.

Since unRAID 6 is "close" to release any more info on what this new solution might be?

In some cases it is obvious because the guid will be mostly zeros. So he'll reject them right away.

But in some cases the guid may look legitimate so Tom will allow the registry of the first one, and when the second request comes for the same guid, it is rejected :)

So if you buy a brand new reader and are the first to register you might get lucky

• 3 weeks later...

Asked on Amazon and got:

I saw this reply on Amazon, so purchased two of these.  They both have the same, non-zero, GUID.  I'll not even bother trying to register with Tom!

• 1 month later...

It seems LT now officially say not to use  a card reader.

http://lime-technology.com/hardware-recommendations/#usbflash

"and not using a card reader."

Given how surprisingly hard it has been to find a perfect candidate for it this does not surprise me.

Perhaps we can discuss this new wording here, specifically to clear up that it is a recommendation only and what this means for this mini project and current reader users. (I suspect this will just be a recommendation  etc etc but we should make sure since its on the official site and not the wiki or forum).

Well I was talking to Tom via email and brought up the fact that I would prefer to use a USB card reader.  And he gave me a link to one that he said a customer had used successfully.  So I would assume he's still ok with us using them. But like NAS said it's hard to find any that have a unique GUID.