SYSLINUX Error - server won't boot [SOLVED]

I'm running unraid v5 pro* and it now no longer boots up. :(

I get the following error during boot:

SYSLINUX 3.72 2008-09-05 EBIOS Load error - boot error

I've checked the usb stick and it still works in my laptop.

Over the last week or so I've been transferring my collection of Video, Photos etc so it would be great to get it going again!

*Also installed is unmenu and basic e-mail alert scripts etc.

I'm running unraid v5 pro* and it now no longer boots up. :(

I get the following error during boot:

SYSLINUX 3.72 2008-09-05 EBIOS Load error - boot error

I've checked the usb stick and it still works in my laptop.

Over the last week or so I've been transferring my collection of Video, Photos etc so it would be great to get it going again!

*Also installed is unmenu and basic e-mail alert scripts etc.

Does the laptop boot with the usb stick?

Unfortunately not, I just get the same error. :(

Can I overwrite some of the unraid boot files and still be able to access my data afterwards?

Before ovewritingr any files, be  sure that you have a copy of your pro license file.  Did you make a copy of your drive configuration with serial numbers?  This will make it easy for you to recover all of your files if the USB stick is not usable. 

Yes, you can reload the bzimage and bzroot files without effecting your configuration.  (That is the way we update from one version to the next version.)  I would definitely start with those two files. 

You could also use Windows to error check the flash drive and see if it can repair the problem.  (Right click on drive, Properties, Tools, Error Checking, and check 'Scan for and attempt to fix bad sectors'.)

Thanks for the tips!

I have a copy of the pro license key saved in my gmail account from when I purchased it.

Unfortunately I hadn’t got round to recording the serial numbers, but the drives have fairly unique sizes so I should hopefully be able to guess it.

That’ll teach me to procrastinate!

I’ll try scanning the usb key for errors and if that doesn’t work then overwrite the bizimage and bzroot files.

Stick the USB key in your windows machine and attempt to copy all of the files off of it.  That will tell you if there is a problem reading the USB card.  If you don't get a failure to copy a file, you then know that you have a corrupted file on the key. 

I mean 'corrupted' from the standpoint that while the file can be read but the information that is in the file is not what unRAID is expecting to find. 

One other thing, connect a monitor to the video output and describe exactly what is going on.  What I am wondering is, has the Linux operating system even been unpacked so that it can be installed?    (Googling your error message seems to indicate that this may be the case...)

The picture won't hurt.  The one problem with me looking at it is that I am not a Linux expert.  :'(  But doing so, may allow someone who is more familiar with the ins-and-outs of Linux to jump in. 

I would try running the make_bootable.bat file again.  That should not hurt your configuration settings.

Final question (which someone with more knowledge than I will probably want to know), did you make a backup of your USB drive (with your configuration settings) before you had a problem?  That could save you a lot of time if you have to wipe the key and start again.

If all else fails, you may have to reformat your USB key and start over.  If you get to this point, I would be asking myself about the USB key.  Something is wrong on it. "Why?" is the question--NOT "What?"!  USB keys do have a finite life based (usually) on the number of write cycles.  I would be considering replacing that key with the new one and getting a replacement product key from LimeTech to replace the one for your your present USB key.

Thanks, if doing that will it automatically wipe all my data?

As I have files I would ideally like to recover.

no, your data will not be wiped away as it will be considered a new configuration.

Just do not assign a parity drive and do not write to the data drives (as it would invalidate parity)

You'll only be able to assign two data drives at a time with the free version of unRAID, but it will test if it is the flash drive that is the issue.  (You'll need to press the New-Config button when swapping out data drives for it again to see it as a new config and not think you are replacing one defective/smaller drive with a replacement)

Thanks; so just to confirm:

I should install the free version on a new flash key.

Bootup the server

Click the New-Config button

Shutdown the server

?

No. Just see if it boots correctly. Then you can shutdown. If it boots then the original flash is the problem. If it does not boot then the server has an issue.

Thanks; so just to confirm:

I should install the free version on a new flash key.

Bootup the server

Click the New-Config button

Shutdown the server

?

No. Just see if it boots correctly. Then you can shutdown. If it boots then the original flash is the problem. If it does not boot then the server has an issue.

Just be aware... since it is a different flash drive you may have to select it as the boot device in the BIOS to boot from the test flash drive at all, otherwise, it might revert to attempting to boot from a disk drive.
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thx a lot all, I had the same problem today when upgrading from RC8a to RC10, and formatting the drive solved the problem (though chkdsk and filecopy reported no errors).

I wonder, could this problem be caused by the some of the boot-files extending past some magical barrier on the flash drive? I have a 16GB flash drive, and as far as I recall, some linux boot systems have some limits as to the size of the boot disk.

I did also notice that after the execution of make_bootable.bat, a new Idlinux was created, and it was 2.5 times the size of the old one.

Cheers Alex

Must be that time of year.  My server has been working perfectly and then this morning it also got a "boot error" after the bios and drive sequence.  I used my 2nd key, but it also wouldn't boot because of some mis-match writing the latest backed-up files to it.

I ended up re-doing the syslinux.exe part of the installation and the drive booted?

Can the syslinux get corrupted? 

Can you just re-do the syslinux part - without hurting the other files already on the USB drive?? (I think I'll try just re-doing the syslinux part on the USB drive that failed to boot and see what happens)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I got the same error - SYSLINUX 3.72 2008-09-05 EBIOS Load error - boot error - and so came across this thread.

I checked the USB drive by copying the files from it to the hard drive on my laptop. No issues, so it seems like my USB drive is OK from a hardware perspective.

I then re-ran make_bootable.bat and that got me past the original error, and the server made it further in its boot sequence, but now I get this error:

Decompressing Linux...

uncompression error

-- System halted

Any ideas?

@reftimos        Let's start with the easiest step first. 

Replace the *.bz files on the root of the flash drive.  (When you are told to 'Check' a drive, a simple copy operation may not find all errors.  You should be using an OS-provided utility to do it.  To do this on a Windows computer, insert the drive into the computer, right click on the drive, select 'Properties', select 'Tools' and then 'Check Now' with Administrative privileges.)