Running UNRAID in a Virtual Machine under Virtualbox (Windows Host)

thankyou @itimpi for answer.

The only differences I can see are that I have defined SATA disks instead of IDE, and that I am actually using a slightly different NIC for the bridged adaptor - but I would not have thought either of those should really matter.

At the moment I have only defined de IDE disk needed to install unraid in conjuntion with the usb. I will add the sata disks after.

You do not mention what version of unRAID you are intending to try?    If it is the new 6.2 beta which now includes a built-in GUI option then you can bring that up by editing the syslinux.cfg file on the boot device (I assume a VMDK) and moving the Default entry to the one to load the GUI. Editing the syslinux.cfg on the USB flash drive will not have the same effect (since VirtualBox does not supporting from USB then I assume you have this plugged in separately and passed through to the VM).  This is the same GUI that you would get by connecting from outside the VM via a browser.

I'm trying 6.1.9. I'll try 6.2 GUI later.

What I don't really understand is in the last screen capture when I ping from Host to unraid (192.168.1.12) I got a 192.168.1.101 destination host not reachable

What is this 192.168.1.101 if I'm pinging 192.168.1.12?

Thankyou

Gus

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What I don't really understand is in the last screen capture when I ping from Host to unraid (192.168.1.12) I got a 192.168.1.101 destination host not reachable

What is this 192.168.1.101 if I'm pinging 192.168.1.12?

I think in this context it may be the IP address of the machine trying to access 192.168.1.12.  Quite why it should think it is unreadable when it is on the same subnet (assuming you have the typical subnet mask of 255.255.255.0) is not clear - sounds like there may be a networking issue at the host (perhaps a reboot will clear it).

I think in this context it may be the IP address of the machine trying to access 192.168.1.12.  Quite why it should think it is unreadable when it is on the same subnet (assuming you have the typical subnet mask of 255.255.255.0) is not clear - sounds like there may be a networking issue at the host (perhaps a reboot will clear it).

On the HOST machine I have a 192.168.1.100 FIXED IP. No idea where this 192.168.1.101 is? (I have rebooted a couple of times ;-)

Btw I'm trying 6.2 GUI right now... let's see !!!

Thankyou

Gus

No luck also with 6.2.

Starting unraid in GUI mode, enter user "root" with no password and a blank "unable to connect" mozilla firefox browser pointing "localhost"

Strange.  That does not even go over the real network.  I assume the files on the boot disk and USB stick are a vanilla unRAID release so there is nothing already configured that might mess things up.

Did you try setting the virtual NIC to exactly the same one I had in case it matters somehow?  That seems a bit desperate, but I am running out of ideas on what might be going wrong.

Just had a thought - have you checked the USB stick ends up mounted as /boot.  If not it might not be in the correct format (FAT32) which has been known to have strange side-effects.

I assume the files on the boot disk and USB stick are a vanilla unRAID release so there is nothing already configured that might mess things up.

Yes.

Did you try setting the virtual NIC to exactly the same one I had in case it matters somehow?  That seems a bit desperate, but I am running out of ideas on what might be going wrong.

Can you tell me what settings you have under VirtualBox \ File \ Preferences \ Network \ Host-only Networks\ VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter ?

have you checked the USB stick ends up mounted as /boot
(My linux is null) I can do a ls /boot and get /config

If not it might not be in the correct format (FAT32) which has been known to have strange side-effects

Formated to FAT32 before copying files to it.

Thankyou

Gus

have you checked the USB stick ends up mounted as /boot
(My linux is null) I can do a ls /boot and get /config

That sounds wrong - you should normally get the list of files that are extracted from the ZIP download of unRAID.  However I guess it depends on how you prepared the USB stick.  Whatever you should see the same folders/files as you would see when looking at the USB stick from Windows.  If not then it suggests it has not been correctly recognised and mounted.

You can use the

df

command that will show you any mounted file systems.  There should be one showing /dev/sda1 mounted as /boot.

It might also be worth posting the output of

ls /dev/?d?

so we can check what devices are being seen. I would expect to see hdX type devices for the IDE ones and sdX type ones for the USB/SATA ones. 

More details can then be obtained by running

fdisk -l /dev/?d?

which should show more information about the media associated with each device.

If not it might not be in the correct format (FAT32) which has been known to have strange side-effects

Formated to FAT32 before copying files to it.

Did you also make sure it was labelled as "UNRAID"?  That is important for unRAID to pick it up.  You also do NOT want the boot vmdk device to have the label UNRAID as it might confuse things.

Good morning @itimpi let's see what I made wrong ;-)

df

df_zpse9pv2el4.jpg

ls /dev/?d?

ls-dev_zpsbldce3s2.jpg

fdisk -l /dev/?d?

fdisk_zpsbpxl4yxu.jpg

Did you also make sure it was labelled as "UNRAID"?   That is important for unRAID to pick it up.   You also do NOT want the boot vmdk device to have the label UNRAID as it might confuse things.

This is how I made it:

1 - Format USB memory with 2Tware Fat32Format 1.13 default values (windows didn't allow me to format a 64gb memory stick). After that tried with a 8GB memory stick but also formated with this program.

2 - Copied UNRAID 6.1.9 contents to that device (files and folders) and labeled UNRAID.

Executed make_bootable.bat as admin, a dos window is open and press key to continue... syslinux.exe -maf F:... Completed (if you don't name it UNRAID make_bootable doesn't work)

3 - Renamed USB memory stick to UNHDD before making image.

4 - Open Winimage 9 as admin. Select Disk / Use removable disk F: . Select Creating Virtual Hard Disk image from physical disk... Select disk, hit ok and named UNHDD.vhd - Wait 10 min

4.5 - Renamed USB memory stick back to UNRAID

5- Virtualbox:

5.1: New

5.2: Name: UNRAID_6.1.9

Type: Linux

Version: Other Linux (64bits)

5.3: Memory size: 2048

5.4: Hard disk: Use an existing virtual hard disk file / select UHDD.vhd

(storage is on IDE Primary Master, tried SATA also)

5.5: Network: Bridged adaptor (Intel® 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection)

(I suppose is my "real" ethernet adapter)

Advanced:

Adapter Type: Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM)

Promiscuous Mode: Deny

Mac Address: xxxxxxxxxxxx

Cable Connected: Yes

5.6: USB:

Enable USB Controller: Yes

USB 1.1 (OHCI) Controller

Add new USB filter with all fields initially set to empty strings

Start machine, blue screen with unraid options, load unraid, begin loading... but:

Now I have realized that there's an error and it doesn't find UNRAID: I tought those 30sec was the time searching for USB stick after started loading from HD USB image.

error_01_zps48qyr78k.jpg

error_02_zpsmehxruju.jpg

Does this give you any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thankyou

Gus

Did you rename the USB stick back to UNRAID after creating the image - you do not have this listed as one of your steps.  If not then unRAID will not find it and will not function correctly.    The messages about waiting for 30 seconds are while unRAID is looking for a USB device labelled UNRAID.  I only get them if I either have the wrong label on the USB stick, or if it is not being assigned to the VM.

Did you rename the USB stick back to UNRAID after creating the image - you do not have this listed as one of your steps.  If not then unRAID will not find it and will not function correctly.    The messages about waiting for 30 seconds are while unRAID is looking for a USB device labelled UNRAID. 

Yes sorry. added step 4.5 where I rename back to UNRAID my USB Stick.

I only get them if I either have the wrong label on the USB stick, or if it is not being assigned to the VM.

Wait, wait, how do you assign it to VM? I simply create a new blank usb filter... must I do anything else?

Thankyou

Gus

Did you rename the USB stick back to UNRAID after creating the image - you do not have this listed as one of your steps.  If not then unRAID will not find it and will not function correctly.    The messages about waiting for 30 seconds are while unRAID is looking for a USB device labelled UNRAID. 

Yes sorry. added step 4.5 where I rename back to UNRAID my USB Stick.

I only get them if I either have the wrong label on the USB stick, or if it is not being assigned to the VM.

Wait, wait, how do you assign it to VM? I simply create a new blank usb filter... must I do anything else?

Yes.    If you have the USB plugged in while doing the settings for the VM then you can create a filter specifically for that device. Without that there will be no automatic assignment of the USB stick to the VM and doing it manually is too error prone (and tedious).  I think the blank template is for the case where you do not already have the USB device plugged in but know what should go into the various fields.

While I think of it you might want to change the USB controller type for the VM to be USB3 rather than the default of USB2.    I found that seems to always work, whereas if it is defined as USB2 then passing in USB3 devices tends to fail.

Yes.    If you have the USB plugged in while doing the settings for the VM then you can create a filter specifically for that device. Without that there will be no automatic assignment of the USB stick to the VM and doing it manually is too error prone (and tedious).

When you do the initial setup of unraid VM machine, you can't select the USB properties. Once finished in the new windows that appears with all the settings of this virtual machine you can clic under USB and add, in my case, a Kingston DataTraveller USB. (Before I was not doing that, I was seleccting a blank template).

But like before...

waiting for /dev/disk/by_label/UNRAID

and

/dev/disk/by_label/UNRAID not found !

While I think of it you might want to change the USB controller type for the VM to be USB3 rather than the default of USB2.    I found that seems to always work, whereas if it is defined as USB2 then passing in USB3 devices tends to fail.

I have tried the 3 types of USB with no luck.

I don't know what else to try :-(

Thankyou

Gus

Not sure what could still be going wrong!

I assume that before you start the VM the USB stick is showing up as a drive at the Windows level?

Another thing that might be worth trying is booting the PC you are using off the USB stick so it is running 'bare-metal'.  There is normally a key that can be pressed during the PC boot sequence to select the boot device.  That will at least validate that the USB stick is set up fine.  Since doing this does not touch the hard disks it will not upset the current Windows install.

Just had a thought - my installation has a valid license key - does yours?  I will try removing it to see if that makes a difference.

EDIT:  Just tried without the license key - and it just (as expected) means unRAID takes me to the web page to get a key.

In case it will help I have attached the VirtualBox configuration file I have - it might be worth seeing if there are any obvious differences to yours that look relevant.

unRAIDvbox.zip

I assume that before you start the VM the USB stick is showing up as a drive at the Windows level?

Yes it shows under windows explorer.

Another thing that might be worth trying is booting the PC you are using off the USB stick so it is running 'bare-metal'.  There is normally a key that can be pressed during the PC boot sequence to select the boot device.  That will at least validate that the USB stick is set up fine.  Since doing this does not touch the hard disks it will not upset the current Windows install.

Will try it now.

Just had a thought - my installation has a valid license key - does yours?  I will try removing it to see if that makes a difference.

No, it hasn't my license. I'm trying with the default free installation.

Thankyou

Gus

I have entered my BIOS and select the USB as first booting device.

Reboot and test that unraid works perfect. I have connected from my phone to unraid config page.

Rebooted and F12 to select booting device, select HD and booted.

The same problem under Virtualbox, UNRAID not found.

I will try if I can virtualize UNRAID under another program.

Thanyou

Gus

I have entered my BIOS and select the USB as first booting device.

Reboot and test that unraid works perfect. I have connected from my phone to unraid config page.

Rebooted and F12 to select booting device, select HD and booted.

The same problem under Virtualbox, UNRAID not found.

I will try if I can virtualize UNRAID under another program.

Thanyou

Gus

i guess that proves the USB stick is fine.    Quite why VirtualBox works with no issues for me but does not work for you is a mystery!

EDIT:  just tried VMWare workstation and I got that working as well.  Using VMWare it did not appear that I could configure the USB stick to pre-assigned to the VM - I had to do it dynamically when starting the VM.

I have been able to boot and connect to unraid from virtualbox using this tutorial:

http://www.howtogeek.com/187721/how-to-boot-from-a-usb-drive-in-virtualbox/

but it doesn't pass a FLASH GUID and it's useless.

just tried VMWare workstation and I got that working as well.  Using VMWare it did not appear that I could configure the USB stick to pre-assigned to the VM - I had to do it dynamically when starting the VM.

I have VMWare to give it a try. Can you explain the basic to get it working please?

Thankyou

Gus

just tried VMWare workstation and I got that working as well.  Using VMWare it did not appear that I could configure the USB stick to pre-assigned to the VM - I had to do it dynamically when starting the VM.

I have VMWare to give it a try. Can you explain the basic to get it working please?

There was not much involved as I was already using a .vmdk format virtual disk with virtualBox. I simply created a basic custom VM using 'other 64-bit" as the OS.    I had to manually add a USB controller as one was not added by default.    Also the first time I booted the VM I had to manually connect the unRAID USB stick (although that seemed to be remembered for subsequent boots.

• 1 year later...

Guys,

I have everything working accept unRAID does not show HVM and Memory statistics. HVM states: Not available as Memory states 0 GB (max. installable capacity GB)

The Virtual Machine runs on Virtual Box 5.122r115126. I have got VT-X/AMD-V enabled. But as expected I am not able to launch any VM's inside unRAID because HVM is not available. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Danny

--- More information

VM Manager: Your hardware does not have Intel VT-x or AMD-V capability. This is required to create VMs in KVM. Click here to see the unRAID Wiki for more information

cat /proc/cpuinfo shows my Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) -5-3470S CPU @ 2.90Ghz with flags hypervisor
http://ark.intel.com/products/68315/Intel-Core-i5-3470S-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz?q=i5-3470s

modprobe kvm_intel shows: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'kvm_intel': Operation not supported.

free -m shows: total 2005 used 249 free 1108.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Edited by Danny
  • 9 months later...

... update, I got it installed, and got to a login prompt 

For MAC:

Steps. 

1. Erase USB, label it UNRAID

2 Copy contents of OS distro to USB

3. execute make bootable scripts (this needs the USB to be called UNRAID)

4. Insert USB into Windows machine with WinImage9 installed, 

4.1 Select disk at the top, go down to make image from physical disk, select relevant USB and make image, calling it anything...

5. copy to folder where VirtualBox VM will be stored, rename to unread.vhd

6. Boot... Worked.

Want to retry, and select the gui option.

G

• 1 year later...