AT0MACs mITX low-noise unRAID build log

AT0MAC

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct! I used the (P11) zip. Beware though, you can't use all motherboards to do the flashing.

Ok, do you know if there should be any issues in flashing on a SuperMicro X7SPA-HF-D525??

Still deciding what I like more: the actual build or the Sketchup drawing. I like both a lot. Couldn't do it myself. Too little patience.

I'm still deciding if that is a good or a bad comment :P

Thank you, but you are right, it's easier to see what's going on in the 3D model than in the actual build were I can not take pictures trough steel plates... They are always in the way

And now the news:

Today I had a few minutes to pull out the "Dremel" and cut away little more of the original 5.25 cage because I had an epiphany... The newly sleeved front PCB were the USB, on, restart buttons and LEDs are placed, it used to be mounted in the bottom of the drive cage!

But with the drive cage totally rearranged that is no longer possible... So a new solution had to be cooked up and I've come up with a small mounting plate cut out of the original bottom, will be "welded" into the front with chemical metal.

So here we go modding away:

201206261220.jpg

Off to a pretty good start:

201206261222.jpg

Done deal:

201206261223.jpg

201206261224.jpg

The front lip it will be "welded" into the front with:

201206261225.jpg

In other news, the things I ordered yesterday from Germany, like the IBM M1015 controller, have already shipped - so if everything go according to what I guess then I have it here before the end of the week :)

Tomorrow I will see if I can get time to measure cable lengths so I can order the last little detail - SATA(n) and SFF8087 cables!

By the way, as I am now in the last few steps of actual completion, wich license would I need?

I have a cache drive, parity and in the long run 6 data drives - does that mean it's a pro license?

I don't exactly understand the term "array width", if the cache and parity drive is part of the total possible number of drives.

Correct! I used the (P11) zip. Beware though, you can't use all motherboards to do the flashing.

Ok, do you know if there should be any issues in flashing on a SuperMicro X7SPA-HF-D525??

Unfortunately not, it is hot or miss with motherboards, I have 2 "mainstream" board a DFI and an EVGA that both are OK and a Supermicro X9SCM-F that is not OK. Other Supermicro boards work though.

Still deciding what I like more: the actual build or the Sketchup drawing. I like both a lot. Couldn't do it myself. Too little patience.

Thank you, but you are right, it's easier to see what's going on in the 3D model than in the actual build were I can not take pictures trough steel plates... They are always in the way

See my words as a compliment, I like your work a lot!

Unfortunately not, it is hot or miss with motherboards, I have 2 "mainstream" board a DFI and an EVGA that both are OK and a Supermicro X9SCM-F that is not OK. Other Supermicro boards work though.

See my words as a compliment, I like your work a lot!

It was ment as a joke with reference to your choice of words, I like all the comments good or bad - I am here to learn :)

Still building...

Or more precise, still waiting till I can finish the build!

The guys in Germany I ordered my IBM controller from seem to have been a little fast sending out an email saying it was shipped, because today I received a tracking number that shows the package have not been touched until today... So sometime later this week I should get it.

That's not all, I need cables! I have not measured in real because nothing is really assembled yet, but I measured on my drawing and am pretty sure I got the right length.

I just ordered 6x 12" latching SATA III 90' cables and 1x 19" SFF8087 to 4x SATA III, both in the brand Startech ordered over Amazon in the UK

The last piece I need when those things arrive is my unRAID license code, have not decided yet if I should go for the plus and later upgrade or the pro right away?

The last piece I need when those things arrive is my unRAID license code, have not decided yet if I should go for the plus and later upgrade or the pro right away?

For that build? Go straight for a Pro license, it is cheaper to get it initially anyway and saves you the trouble of upgrading.

You also might be suprised how quickly you end up needing more drives ;)

For that build? Go straight for a Pro license, it is cheaper to get it initially anyway and saves you the trouble of upgrading.

Ok, as soon as the whole thing is assembled and I can get my GUID, then I will buy a Pro key... Rest of the system is already pretty much Pro so why the hell not :P

In other news:

German retailer ALB computer made a mayor error and forgot to send my IBM ServeRAID card!

They only send a bunch of smaller thing's I needed for other reasons :(

I am currently trying to get them to understand that I am not cheating them and the card was for real not in the package, but they are German and Germans apparently are not good at taking critic... I hope it will end well...

You see here, no IBM PCI-express card:

201207061331.jpg

So now when I am again just waiting I better do some real work... Today I smoothed out the little bracket I cut recently.

Before:

201207091346.jpg

After:

201207091347.jpg

Molded my chemical metal, that had become a little overdue so it dried up way much quicker than normally (normally it takes around 10 minutes so you can shape it) wich ment it looks not so nice... But who cares, it will not be easily visible.

201207091349.jpg

201207091350.jpg

Looks like I measured correct, because with just a little squeeze the front PCB board fit nicely in place. Even tested the USB and is still easily accesible.

201207091354.jpg

Later in the day yet another brown borring package from the UK arrived:

201207091355.jpg

Inside it was my 50cm SAS cable and my 8 SATA cables:

201207091356.jpg

But why 8? I just like to have a few spares...

Because as they say on the package, good quality is hard-to-find

201207091358.jpg

201207091357.jpg

I hope I can get a few hours to assemble more tomorrow... I want to hopefully finish this build before this month have passed (but with my luck it might not be possible...)

Stay tuned :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sucks that you didn't get your controller card and they are fighting with you over it, not the best customer service by the sounds of it. Worst case scenario I'd order one from somewhere else. It keep demanding the card or a refund, if they send the card then you'll have another one anyway! :D

They ended up accepting my complaint and send me a card with delivery 2 days later... But I would still have loved to be without all the hassle!

Actually, speaking of the card - have now finished installing everything but I can't seem to figure out how to boot from the USB stick I tried to make so it can be tuned in to IT mode, what am I doing wrong?

I have used the HP USB boot tool, I have unzipped the LSI bootfiles onto the root of my USB stick and I have set my USB stick as boot device in the machine - but It does not boot... Hmmmm.......

----------------

Beside that: A bunch of pics!!!

I installed rubber grommets on all screws in the cabinet

201207101359.jpg

201207101360.jpg

201207101361.jpg

201207101362.jpg

Ready to assemble:

201207101363.jpg

My IBM RAID card:

201207121406.jpg

Installed:

201207121412.jpg

Prepared USB for my boot drive:

201207121417.jpg

First HDD installed, 2TB Hitachi:

201207121419.jpg

Mounted with rubber:

201207121420.jpg

Secured cables:

201207131425.jpg

Put rubber list on all sharp edges:

201207131428.jpg

201207131429.jpg

201207191631.jpg

201207191632.jpg

Assembled front view:

201207191633.jpg

Only missing the front and the top:

201207191634.jpg

Front installed (have to do something about the open 5.25" hole)

201207191636.jpg

Everything assembled:

201207191637.jpg

Turned on for the very first time:

201207191638.jpg

LSI MegaRAID with SAS2008 chipsets

1) IBM ServeRAID M1015

2) Intel RS2WC080

Please let me know (PM or post here) what Card you have successfully flashed with the LSI MegaRAID SAS2008 chipset with the provided zip.

20.10.1-0037 (APP-2.120.54-1235) / 15-APR-11

Only iMR mode available.

LSI MegaRAID SAS2008 Controller.zip - 5.32 MB (Windows)

Linux Driver: megaraid_sas - supports the LSI SAS1078, SAS1078 GEN2, SAS1079 GEN2, SAS0073 and SAS0071 chipsets. Though is is an old version indeed. (Thanks to "BRiT"s prior post)

unRAID Support: Driver not included at this point.

Drive Spin Down support: YES (UPDATE: Added as of 5.0Beta7)

Drive Temp Readings: YES

3TB Drive Support with this card: YES (UPDATE: 5.0Beta7 added 3TB Drive support)

Update: Convert your LSI MegaRAID controller card with LSI SAS2008 chipset to a Plain SAS2008 controller card (IT or IR mode), will look and feel like a LSI SAS9211-8i, and will be ready to use with unRAID (BIG THANKS to KKM for creating the empty.bin, so you dont need to have to worry about which sbr to obtain and use.)

1) IBM ServeRAID M1015 (tested successfully)

2) Intel RS2WC080  (tested successfully)

Please let me know (PM or post here) what Card you have successfully flashed with the LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008 with the provided zip.

LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P10).zip - 6.38 MB (DOS, via bootable usb key)

LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P11).zip - 5.87 MB (DOS, via bootable usb key)

Please read the __READMEFIRST.txt file so you are clear as to all the steps and why it is important not to skip any steps.

Converting it follows all details in the post above for the LSI SAS2008 chipset (firmware release, support, etc.)

I have today assembled the last few pieces of my new unRAID and thought I should start installing - but wanted to get my IBM M1015 into IT mode before I started.

Used the guide mentioned here on the site - but when I have extracted the zip mentioned in the readme to my usb sticks root - it refuses to boot up...

Any one have an idea what I do wrong?

Original thread here>>

I did this just last weekend with madburgs zip file.

Run the HP tools with the make bootable option and point it to the Dos files. (was win 98 dos).

copy the files to the flash and do the 1-x (6 was it?).

I then upgraded to P13.

I will try again later, testing it on a Windows laptop I have laying around (to check if the stick is bootable before moving it to the server).

Anyway, better luck next time... Will report back in a week or so when I get time to try again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Project terminated as of 8th September 2012

Reasons:

1) Motherboard faulty, need to send to DOA/RMA

2) My wife got seriously ill and had to give birth to our daughter 5 weeks before time so have spend immense amounts of time taking care of my girls (they are fine now)

3) In my absence from work I got promoted so I now have a better job starting on monday (means less time to build)

4) Because of 1) and 2) we moved our living room furniture around and it is no longer ideal to have a server under the couch, means the chassis is out of the question

5) Because of 2) I have many videos and pictures I can never bring back if I ever loose them, so backup is of uttermost importance =

6) I need a quick durable solution! =

7) Changing the setup, using Linux OS, (therefor thread is terminated from unRAID site) and building a system without mods + run cloud backup for extra security (would not be possible under unRAID)

Follow the continues story over at Bit-Tech.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT HERE :)