Unraid - SABnzbd, Sick Beard etc

Hi

I have absolutely no idea re Linux and i've tried to install Sabnzbd, Sickbeard etc using this guide http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Install_Python_based_servers

It doesnt work, it can't find the bibliognome link for python......

I don't know what to do now. All the guides on the net seem out of date.....

Can anyone help me with up to date instructions?

I'm running unraid 4.5.6 which has worked perfectly for the past 1+ (without me touching it lol)

You may find it easier to upgrade to 5beta14 and use the plugin install system. All you have to do is put the plg files on the flash drive and next time you reboot Sabnzbd, Sickbeard ect will be installed. Then all you have to do is specify the data directories through the web interface and enable the plugins.

You don't need to but I would recommend it. I was running the apps on a hard drive in the array but that meant that the disk was always spun up which is not good for energy usage. I used an old 64GB SSD I had for the cache drive and its much better.

As for using the usb flash drive my understanding is that the apps are downloaded to the drive when you first run the script to install them and then they are copied to the RAM (I may be completely wrong) when they are running. I am not sure about saving the app data directories to the usb drive, I remember reading that it is not recommended due to the number of read/writes the drive will be put through.

You don't need to but I would recommend it. I was running the apps on a hard drive in the array but that meant that the disk was always spun up which is not good for energy usage. I used an old 64GB SSD I had for the cache drive and its much better.

As for using the usb flash drive my understanding is that the apps are downloaded to the drive when you first run the script to install them and then they are copied to the RAM (I may be completely wrong) when they are running. I am not sure about saving the app data directories to the usb drive, I remember reading that it is not recommended due to the number of read/writes the drive will be put through.

so having the apps run off your SD card is not a big deal since they actually get run from RAM after initial booting, but obviously having the download directories should go into the unraid drives.... or are you saying to use a cache drive to have the apps run from?

so having the apps run off your SD card is not a big deal since they actually get run from RAM after initial booting, but obviously having the download directories should go into the unraid drives.... or are you saying to use a cache drive to have the apps run from?

Individual settings files that are customized need to be saved in a location that survives reboots (Not RAM) so you don't have to reenter the settings each time you reboot. Some apps are easier than others to set the location of settings files, so it may be easier to install them in total to a drive location rather than installing them in RAM and pointing them to their settings files.

Hi. Just a follow on question from someone thinking of giving this a go on a relativly new UnRaid box and who has never touched any of these Apps

As my box is full i was wondering is it possible to use a large i.e. 32 or 64 gig USB stick (not the boot thumb drive) - can this be made to function like an additional hard drive or as a kind of casch drive? Just wondering if it woul;d work and if so what would be the steps to set it up (i have a couple of 32gig USB's not doing much .....)

So just for my understanding, since I have been pulling my hair out after every reboot. HOW do you go about setting SAB files to survive reboots. Couchpotato, and SickBeard already do.

I have Sab installed to the cache disk.

In the unMenu Variable config it has log files set to /var/log/sabnzbd

Do I simply need to set that to /mnt/cache/.sabnzbd/whatever???

I am running UR 5b14 .

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this in another thread but got no response.  Perhaps it is more appropriate here.

I am having a hard time getting sabnzbd to work.  I really don't even know enough about linux, unraid, or anything of that sort to say where I am stuck.  I don't have a cache (but I do have an extra ssd lying around that I could use -- how do i set that up? I'm running the free version of unraid and I have 2 drives in my server).

I know that sab isn't working because it will say something like.. [: missing '[' and get stuck.  I've read through and tried to use the mkdir /mnt/usenet/.apps/sabnzbd and chown command, but when it always says cannot create directory '/mnt/usenet/.apps/sabnzbd' no such file or directory.

Can anyone help? If you need more information, just tell me what you need and I will post it here.

Thanks for your help! I've been stuck for over a week on this!  :-[