[SOLVED] VERY slow preclear on disk(s) attached to PCIe SATA card

See my last post in this thread on page 5 for why I consider this issue solved.

I have a 4-port x4 PCIe SATA card inserted in the PCIe x16 slot of my mini-ITX MB.  Preclears on any drive attached to this controller are reading at about 2.6 MB/s.

The MB is a Biostar TH61-ITX

On the MB SATA ports, the pre-read runs at over 100 MB/s

The PCIe SATA controller is based on the Marvel 88SX7042 chipset.  I have tried both the SYBA SY-PEX40048 card and the Rosewill RC-218.  They are absolutely identical in every detail and both yield the same results.  Both are reported by numerous people as working with unRAID through the sata_mv driver in Linux kernel 2.6 and above.

As it is now, I am limited to a 4-drive array as the MB has only 4 SATA ports.  I need the 4 more the controller card offers, but, not at this performance level.

All drives Including those attached to the MB ports are showing up as UDMA/133.  I thought that was an IDE standard.  All drives are SATA and the MB BIOS is set to AHCI.

In the syslog, the drive ST2000DL003-9VT166_6YD1Q84W (sda) is the one attached to the PCIe controller.  The other three are attached to MB SATA ports.

I note in the syslog (near the end) that IRQ #16 is being disabled and it appears to have something to do with the SATA drives.

Running unRAID v5b14

Syslog attached.  Any idea?  Is my MB PCIe slot at fault.

Syslog_-_Jan_12_13.doc

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No joy!

I tried adding both irqpoll and irqfixup to the syslinux.cfg by modifying the line "append initrd=bzroot rootdelay=10 irqpoll" to try each option.

The only difference is abysmal boot times (dare I say, almost Windows like?) and a noticeable performance lag.

Right before the login prompt appears is says disabling IRQ #16 regardless of what I add to syslinux.cfg

Does my syslog indicate anything else I might try?

No joy!

I tried adding both irqpoll and irqfixup to the syslinux.cfg by modifying the line "append initrd=bzroot rootdelay=10 irqpoll" to try each option.

The only difference is abysmal boot times (dare I say, almost Windows like?) and a noticeable performance lag.

Right before the login prompt appears is says disabling IRQ #16 regardless of what I add to syslinux.cfg

See if you can find an update to the BIOS on our board.  This is ultimately the fault of the BIOS for not handeling thr IRQ's quite right.

The BIOS on the MB was released June 1, 2011.  There is a new BIOS for the MB released December 5, 2011; however, it lists as the only change support for 22nm CPUs.  The only method for updating the BIOS seems to be a Windows utility.  I guess I'll have to install windows on one of my spare disks and boot to that to install a new BIOS although I am not sure this new BIOS has any IRQ-related fixes.

Would I be better off to swap the motherboard for an Intel DQ67EP or DH67CF?

Well, the "disabling IRQ #16" issue is definitely the root of the problem.  After reading through every post on the forums I could find about IRQ errors, I noticed that one user has set the PCI ROM option in his BIOS to "EFI compatible."  Mine had that option plus "legacy."  It was set to "legacy."  Setting it to "EFI compatible" helped for a couple of minutes.  The "disabling IRQ #16" message did not appear right before the login prompt when unRAID booted. 

Through a telnet session, I was able to start a preclear on the disk attached to the PCIe SATA controller and it was prereading at >100 MB/s.  This is the first time I had ever seen that!  I was doing a happy dance!.  My joy was short-lived however.  I terminated the telnet session and switched over to the command prompt on the unRAID box (I have a keyboard attached to it and an input on my desktop monitor so I can switch with a button press) only to be greeted by the "disabling IRQ #16" message.  Preclear pre-reads are now back to 2.6 MB/s.  :(

No joy!

See if you can find an update to the BIOS on our board.  This is ultimately the fault of the BIOS for not handeling thr IRQ's quite right.

Well, I installed Window 7 on one of the disks and downloaded and installed the latest BIOS for the Biostar TH61-ITX MB.  I set anything in the BIOS I thought might make a difference and rebooted.  Although IRQ #16 was not immediately disabled it was eventually disabled after 3-4 minutes. 

I noticed in the syslog that IRQ #16 seems to be assigned to the NIC as well as all four ports on the PCIe SATA controller (if I am reading it correctly).  When IRQ #16 is disabled, I still have network connectivity, but, performance on the SATA drives on the controller goes in the tank as noted in preclear attempts.

Time to give up on this MB?

or contact Biostar for a new BIOS and see if they will send you one that is not on there website.

I think Hades may freeze over before I ever get anything from Biostar.  Unfortunately, I have tried to contact them three different ways, and they have not responded to any of my inquiries from more than a week ago.  I'll try it again, but, I am not hopeful.  I may have to go with one of the Intel motherboards.  At least they have decent support and you can actually speak with someone there, not just fill out an "E Support" form that never gets answered or send an email that ends up in the "do not respond" bin.

Biostar "support" is nonexistent.

This issue is really bothering me.  Just for fun, I booted into Windows, installed the driver for the PCIe SATA controller and updated it to the latest available version I could find (3.6.3).  The controller installed with no problems.  All disks attached to the controller appeared in device manager (unRAID recognizes them as well).  The same IRQ (#16) was assigned to it by the BIOS as in unRAID.  I checked all devices in device manager and there were no IRQ conflicts in Windows and all devices were reported as working properly.  I waited 10 minutes and checked them all again.  Still no problems.

I shut down Windows and booted into unRAID, six minutes after booting, I got this is the syslog (with the familiar "disabling IRQ #16" on the monitor"):

Jan 13 16:38:22 MediaNAS kernel: irq 16: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option) (Errors)

Jan 13 16:38:22 MediaNAS kernel: Pid: 0, comm: swapper Not tainted 3.1.1-unRAID #1 (Errors)

Jan 13 16:38:22 MediaNAS kernel: Call Trace: (Errors)

Jan 13 16:38:22 MediaNAS kernel:  [<c104fa8c>] __report_bad_irq+0x1f/0x95 (Errors)

Jan 13 16:38:22 MediaNAS kernel:  [<c104fc39>] note_interrupt+0x137/0x1a8 (Errors)

Jan 13 16:38:22 MediaNAS kernel:  [<c104e776>] handle_irq_event_percpu+0xef/0x100 (Errors)

Jan 13 16:38:22 MediaNAS kernel:  [<c1050152>] ? handle_edge_irq+0xcb/0xcb (Errors)

Jan 13 16:38:22 MediaNAS kernel:  [<c104e7ab>] handle_irq_event+0x24/0x3b (Errors)

Jan 13 16:38:22 MediaNAS kernel:  [<c1050152>] ? handle_edge_irq+0xcb/0xcb (Errors)

Jan 13 16:38:22 MediaNAS kernel:  [<c10501bb>] handle_fasteoi_irq+0x69/0x82 (Errors)

Jan 13 16:38:22 MediaNAS kernel:  <IRQ>  [<c1003566>] ? do_IRQ+0x37/0x90

Jan 13 16:38:22 MediaNAS kernel:  [<c130c669>] ? common_interrupt+0x29/0x30 (Errors)

Jan 13 16:38:22 MediaNAS kernel:  [<c11ddd89>] ? acpi_idle_enter_bm+0x22a/0x25e (Errors)

Jan 13 16:38:22 MediaNAS kernel:  [<c12734f0>] ? cpuidle_idle_call+0x75/0xbd (Errors)

Jan 13 16:38:22 MediaNAS kernel:  [<c1001a5f>] ? cpu_idle+0x39/0x5a (Errors)

Jan 13 16:38:22 MediaNAS kernel:  [<c12fbd40>] ? rest_init+0x58/0x5a (Errors)

Jan 13 16:38:22 MediaNAS kernel:  [<c145172d>] ? start_kernel+0x28c/0x291 (Errors)

Jan 13 16:38:22 MediaNAS kernel:  [<c14510b0>] ? i386_start_kernel+0xb0/0xb7 (Errors)

Jan 13 16:38:22 MediaNAS kernel: handlers:

Jan 13 16:38:22 MediaNAS kernel: [<c1243aca>] usb_hcd_irq (Drive related)

Jan 13 16:38:22 MediaNAS kernel: [<f848bf28>] mv_interrupt

Jan 13 16:38:22 MediaNAS kernel: Disabling IRQ #16

Jan 13 16:41:42 MediaNAS kernel: NTFS driver 2.1.30 [Flags: R/W MODULE]. (System)

I am by no means an expert on Linux/UnRAID, but, as I read through the forums I see that several of us have the same problem, all with different MBs and different SATA controllers with different chipsets.  We also all seem to be running unRAID 5 beta.  Again, I don't know enough to be making any declarations, but, is there any way this is an unRAID/Linux kernel issue with certain hardware combinations or do those of us with the problems all just happen to have different combinations of MB BIOS and SATA chipsets that throw these errors?

And here's mine for comparision.

Notice how the interrupts are spread. I wonder if something in your bios is not enabled.

Take a peek at the APIC options... Toggle them in the bios.

I can't tell you this is the answer, but it may lead towards one.

root@atlas ~ #cat /proc/interrupts 
           CPU0       CPU1       
  0:         30          0   IO-APIC-edge      timer
  1:          1          1   IO-APIC-edge      i8042
  9:          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   acpi
12:          1          2   IO-APIC-edge      i8042
16:   13188396   13209542   IO-APIC-fasteoi   uhci_hcd:usb3, arcmsr
17:          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   uhci_hcd:usb4
18:        187        187   IO-APIC-fasteoi   ehci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb5, uhci_hcd:usb8
22:          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   uhci_hcd:usb7
23:      10379      10343   IO-APIC-fasteoi   ehci_hcd:usb2, uhci_hcd:usb6
24:          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   sata_sil24
48:    9947472    9945937   IO-APIC-fasteoi   sata_mv
52:    9011659    9007260   IO-APIC-fasteoi   sata_mv
77:  210992701  210972655   PCI-MSI-edge      eth0
79:   22357730   22368824   PCI-MSI-edge      ahci
NMI:          0          0   Non-maskable interrupts
LOC:  310342449  310344342   Local timer interrupts
SPU:          0          0   Spurious interrupts
PMI:          0          0   Performance monitoring interrupts
PND:          0          0   Performance pending work
RES:    2468511   14446408   Rescheduling interrupts
CAL:        384        639   Function call interrupts
TLB:    2473632    2311483   TLB shootdowns
TRM:          0          0   Thermal event interrupts

OK, I just discovered something interesting.  If I start a preclear from the command prompt after booting unRAID without accessing the unRAID server from a browser, pre-reads run at over 100 MB/s and keep running with no problems. I had it running successfully for over two hours and IRQ #16 is NEVER disabled. 

I also have unMenu and unRAID Web installed.  I went to my windows machine and started unMenu (medianas:8080), immediately, I got the disabling IRQ #16 message and the pre-read performance tanked to 2.6 MB/s

Although I had considered it to be a separate issue to be resolved after clearing up this IRQ mess, any time I started unRAID web (medianas:89), I would get a whole bunch of PHP undefined variable/constant messages on the unRAID console.  Shortly thereafter, the "disabling IRQ #16" message would appear (but, it may only be when I access unMenu via unRAID web), but, I never associated the two together until this morning's test.

Apparently, the disabling of IRQ #16 occurs when I access the unRAID box via unMenu (or maybe, any web service).

What I can I look for to correct?

OK, I just discovered something interesting.  If I start a preclear from the command prompt after booting unRAID without accessing the unRAID server from a browser, pre-reads run at over 100 MB/s and keep running with no problems. I had it running successfully for over two hours and IRQ #16 is NEVER disabled. 

I also have unMenu and unRAID Web installed.  I went to my windows machine and started unMenu (medianas:8080), immediately, I got the disabling IRQ #16 message and the pre-read performance tanked to 2.6 MB/s

Although I had considered it to be a separate issue to be resolved after clearing up this IRQ mess, any time I started unRAID web (medianas:89), I would get a whole bunch of PHP undefined variable/constant messages on the unRAID console.  Shortly thereafter, the "disabling IRQ #16" message would appear (but, it may only be when I access unMenu via unRAID web), but, I never associated the two together until this morning's test.

Apparently, the disabling of IRQ #16 occurs when I access the unRAID box via unMenu (or maybe, any web service).

Or maybe, any network activity over a certain level.

Web-services do not equate to interrupts. (other than the network card issues them.  Perhaps if too many, too quickly from your NIC to the chipset on the MB, it loses an interrupt.)

If you've already tried a different NIC, I'd look for a different motherboard.

Joe L.

I haven't tried any early beta versions, but, I do need to be running v5 beta because my NIC is the dreaded Realtek 8111E.  Installing a PCIe NIC is not an option since I need the one and only PCIe slot for the SATA controller.

I will check out the BIOS for any APIC-related options.

Do you have a suggestion for which earlier beta to try?

Do I need to do anything special when moving from one v5 beta version to another?

Or maybe, any network activity over a certain level.

Web-services do not equate to interrupts. (other than the network card issues them.  Perhaps if too many, too quickly from your NIC to the chipset on the MB, it loses an interrupt.)

If you've already tried a different NIC, I'd look for a different motherboard.

Joe L.

I am limited on motherboard selection because only a mini-ITX MB fits in my Lian-Li case.  I have looked at the Intel DQ67EP as a possible replacement.  It has the Intel 82579LM gigabit NIC, but, I understand a v5 beta version is also required to support this NIC as well, correct?

I really dislike the realtek nics. 

I have a mini itx CMB-673 and whenever the torrent machine gets really busy, the network goes off line.

If it were my machine, I would experiment with the APIC options in bios or go with the intel motherboard.

I might also consider the Supermicro X7SPA-HF or X7SPA-HF-D525, but that's me.

For my file server, I like reliable, tried and true.

I don't have any recommendations on which beta because I'm not running 5.x on any machines.  (can ya believe it)

Before I completely abandon the Biostar MB (although that is likely) and go with the Intel DQ67EP or Supermicro X9SCV-Q or QV4 MB (I need a socket 1155 MB for my i3 2100 CPU), here is a map of any BIOS settings I think I may be able to tweak.  There is nothing in the BIOS that is APIC specific and I don't know enough enough about many of these to know if a different setting would help or not.  The current setting is in []

Any suggestions?

Advanced Settings
PCI Subsystem
	PCI ROM Priority
		[EFI Compatible]
		Legacy Compatible
	PCI Latency Timer
		[32 Bus Clocks]
		Various settings between 32 - 248 Clocks
	VGA Palette Snoop
		[Disabled]
		Enabled
	No Snoop
		[Enabled]
		Disabled
	Max Payload
		[Auto]
		Various settings from 128 - 4096 Bytes
	Max Read Requests
		[Auto]
		Various Settings from 128 - 4096 Bytes
	PCI-E Link Settings
		ASPM Suport
			[Auto]
			Enabled 
			Disabled
ACPI Settings
	EuP Support
		[Enabled]
		Disabled
	ACPI Sleep
		[s3]
		S1
		Disabled
	Lock Legacy Resources
		[Disabled]
		Enabled

CPU Config
SATA Config
	SATA Mode
		[AHCI]
		IDE
		Disabled
	S.M.A.R.T.
		[Enabled]
		Disabled
	Aggressive Link Power Management
		[Enabled]
		Disabled
USB Config
	Legacy USB Support
		[Enabled]
		Disabled
	USB 3.0
		[Enabled]
		Disabled
	XHCI Handoff
		[Enabled]
		Disabled
	EHCI Handoff
		[Enabled]
		Disabled
	Mass Storage
		Lists USB drives
Smart Fan
Super IO
H/W Monitor
Chipset
North Bridge
	A bunch of onboard graphics settings
	PCI-E Port
		[Enabled]
		Disabled
	Detect Non-Compliant Device
		[Enabled]
		Disabled
	PEX16_1 Gen X
		[Auto]
		Gen 1 (The PCIe SATA Controller is Gen 1, but, Auto should cover it)
		Gen 2
South Bridge
	Azalia HD Audio 
		[Disabled]
		Enabled
	High-Precision Timer
		[Enabled]
		Disabled
	USB 1.0/2.0
		[Enabled]
		Disabled
	EHCI 1
		[Enabled]
		Disabled
	EHCI 2 
		[Enabled]
		Disabled
Onboard PCI-E
	Launch PXE opROM
		[Disabled]
		Enabled
	Lauch Storage opROM
		[Disabled]
		Enabled
	Onboard PCI-E Giga LAN
		[Enabled]
		Disabled
	Rear USB 3.0
		[Enabled]
		Disabled
	Front USB 3.0
		[Disabled]
		Enabled
Boot
	Gate A20 Active
		[upon Request]
		Enabled
		Disabled
	Option ROM Messages
		[Force BIOS]
		Keep Current
	INT 19 Capture
		[Disabled]
		Enabled
	UEFI Boot
		[Disabled]
		Enabled
A bunch of boot priority settings

Jan 12 13:46:26 MediaNAS logger: /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1:  /sbin/route add -net 127.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 lo (Network)
Jan 12 13:46:26 MediaNAS logger: /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1:  /sbin/ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.191 broadcast 192.168.0.255 netmask 255.255.255.0 (Network)
Jan 12 13:46:26 MediaNAS kernel: r8169 0000:02:00.0: eth0: unable to load firmware patch rtl_nic/rtl8168e-3.fw (-2) (Network)
Jan 12 13:46:26 MediaNAS kernel: r8169 0000:02:00.0: eth0: link down (Network)
Jan 12 13:46:26 MediaNAS kernel: r8169 0000:02:00.0: eth0: link down (Network)
Jan 12 13:46:26 MediaNAS logger: /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1:  /sbin/route add default gw 192.168.0.1 metric 1 (Network)

Is this normal for a realtek on this motherboard?

No joy!

Try any and/or all of these options.  Do a search on the net to learn how they work.

I think I had to use them on one of my older motherboards. along with iqpoll.

acpi=off noapic nolapic