Windows 8 - Storage Spaces

ftp222

You really need to read the beta release thread since there are a number of issues and such covered in them. If you find relavent comments relating to a certain problem still existing then you may have to go back and read the release threads for earlier releases as well. The big thing to note. DO NOT PRESS FORMAT if you upgrade and find the format button after you start the array. I don't think a beta has damaged any data as long as the format button was not pressed.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

My hardware is working great with 4.7, but I'm still reluctant to switch 18TB of data to a beta product. If I ever lose that data, I'll most likely not be able to get it back. If I had a tape solution or some other way to back up 16TB offline, then maybe I would try it. Even coming from you, the maker of unraid, supporting the use of the beta is really a good feeling that does make me want to try it even more.

Is there a supported hardware list for 5.0?

I know we've been here before, but if you have that much data to loose, I would seriously consider your back-up strategy before trying to increase the amount of data that you can loose.  Beta discussions are worth nothing if a lightning strike (for example) takes out a power supply and 3 or 4 of your current drives that are your only copy of your data.

I am using 4.7 for my "live" server, but have been bench testing 5.0B14 in my backup server.  Stability has been very good indeed.  I have not yet moved to 3TB drives, but that is a pricing issue currently.  As Limetech says, the 3TB support element of 5.0 has been working and apparently stable for quite some time. 

Well that's the whole idea of me using unraid. When does one stop making copies of copies? 3, 4, even 5? 5 16TB copies is a whole lotta space and cost a ton of money to keep. I can't afford to do that, hence using unraid in the first place.

If you don't want to lose the data  then at least 2 copies is a good idea and the 2 copies should be stored in different geographic locations to guard against natural disasters.