[SOLVED] My first UNRAID server, no network

As per OP:

When I first managed to get an IP address I was using the onboard LAN, still using the onboard LAN it stopped working. As I know that there are issues with Realtek 8111E chipsets I added an Intel PCI network controller now and disabled the onboard LAN, but I still have the same problem.

Cable is known to work and I get two green lights at the back of the LAN card. I am running 4.7 btw.

Thanks in advance if you can get me on the right track to solve this.

He does/did have another adapter. The A75 chipset is still very new and although I have tested this working on a Gigabyte motherboard using the onboard LAN - both 4.7 & 5b13 (GA-A75M-D2H) it may not necessarily be fully compatible with unRAID as of yet. As Johnm suggested, try 5b13 and failing that I would try another flash drive in that PC, even though you have tested that flash drive in other PC's. Could be a compatibility issue, some hardware just doesn't like other hardware.. for whatever reason.

Have you tried both the USB2 & USB3 ports? These are going to be on different controllers, where as each of the USB2 ports share a controller.

Failing that it could just be that the motherboard you are trying to use isn't unRAID compatible, although if you have another one of these boards "lying around" you could prove that theory wrong. Hopefully this isn't the case though.

I will test with 5b13 tonight. However I am pretty sure it should work with 4.7 and this motherboard as it was working the first time I managed to boot. I only added the Intel LAN controller by precaution, didn't want to take the chance of migrating my data using the onboard Realtek that is known to have problems.

Now I have to look into my BIOS settings again, looks like I screwed up the settings while troubleshooting and now I can't find where I set the USB to emulate a HDD anymore.

Does anyone have some knowledge on how to configure the BIOS for this particular MB? I tried to follow http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hardware_Compatibility#First_Time_Configuration but it's different.

Hi , I am just finishing my first build as well and let me tell you something :-()

just because it worked once , does not mean it will work again.

my MB have the same net 81111E chipset and I have had many issues with  trying 4.7 unraid setup.

it worked one time, it lost the network next  time.

I moved to 5.0 b13 and at least network works since then.

in fact I have been running the PC for the last 3 days per-clearing the drives and so far so good.

I do  have an issue with unMenu not working anymore but it could be my fault as I un-pluged the flash

without shutting the unraid down.

I will try to reset ti once the pre-clear is done.

good luck, but do try the 5.0b13 , as it does have the proper driver for 81111E  chipset.

Hi , I am just finishing my first build as well and let me tell you something :-()

just because it worked once , does not mean it will work again.

my MB have the same net 81111E chipset and I have had many issues with  trying 4.7 unraid setup.

it worked one time, it lost the network next  time.

I moved to 5.0 b13 and at least network works since then.

in fact I have been running the PC for the last 3 days per-clearing the drives and so far so good.

I do  have an issue with unMenu not working anymore but it could be my fault as I un-pluged the flash

without shutting the unraid down.

I will try to reset ti once the pre-clear is done.

good luck, but do try the 5.0b13 , as it does have the proper driver for 81111E  chipset.

As I said before, I won't be using the 8111E onboard LAN anymore, the Intel controller should do a better job. I don't see why it shouldn't work when it worked before. Pretty sure that I just need to find the correct BIOS settings now. Trying disabling USB 3.0 etc. I will try 5b13 tonight. Thanks

It works on 5b13 now! Will try to see if I can get 4.7 to work again.

So my problem is mostly solved. Didn't get to try if I can get my server to run 4.7 again but I think it should work.

Everything I had to do so far on 5b13 went smoothly and I am now preclearing 3x 2TB drives. Once that is done I should be able to shut down the server and start it again with 4.7 just to see if it works, no? And if not just go back to 5b13?