OS X 10.7 (Lion) and TimeMachine

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did a bit of digging - appears to be quite a problem with most version of Netatalk, including the version included in unRAID.

The latest version fixes this issue. Tom, can this be resolved please?

http://trick77.com/2011/02/25/afp-broken-linux-based-nas-mac-os-x-lion-10-7/

Agreed.

This is of critical importance now given the number of Mac users on here.

It is the *only* reason my Mac Pro won't be upgraded to Lion.

My MacBook Pro will be, giving me the ability to test UnRAID before letting my Mac Pro be moved over to 10.7.

Did a bit of digging - appears to be quite a problem with most version of Netatalk, including the version included in unRAID.

The latest version fixes this issue. Tom, can this be resolved please?

http://trick77.com/2011/02/25/afp-broken-linux-based-nas-mac-os-x-lion-10-7/

Agreed.

This is of critical importance now given the number of Mac users on here.

It is the *only* reason my Mac Pro won't be upgraded to Lion.

My MacBook Pro will be, giving me the ability to test UnRAID before letting my Mac Pro be moved over to 10.7.

I made Tom aware of this a while back as I was doing some reading on Lion.  He knows it has to be updated and it is on the list, but we will have to be patient as Netatalk is updated and testing is done.

This is from my syslog under 5.0-beta8b:

Jul  8 12:18:07 Rack afpd[1322]: main: atp_open: Address family not supported by protocol
Jul  8 12:18:07 Rack afpd[1322]: dsi_tcp: hostname 'Rack' resolves to loopback address
Jul  8 12:18:07 Rack afpd[1322]: dsi_tcp (Chooser will not select afp/tcp) Check to make sure Rack is in /etc/hosts and the correct domain is in /etc/resolv.conf: Success
Jul  8 12:18:07 Rack afpd[1322]: ASIP started on 0.0.0.0:548(5) (2.0.5)
Jul  8 12:18:07 Rack afpd[1322]: uam: loading (/etc/netatalk/uams/uams_guest.so)
Jul  8 12:18:07 Rack afpd[1322]: uam: uams_guest.so loaded
Jul  8 12:18:07 Rack afpd[1322]: uam: loading (/etc/netatalk/uams/uams_dhx2.so)
Jul  8 12:18:07 Rack afpd[1322]: uam: uams_dhx2.so loaded
Jul  8 12:18:07 Rack afpd[1322]: uam: "DHX2" available
Jul  8 12:18:07 Rack afpd[1322]: uam: "No User Authent" available
Jul  8 12:18:07 Rack afpd[1322]: Finished parsing Config File

It looks like DHX2 is included. Does AFP work with Lion now?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on Lion and updated to unraid 5.0b10.  Lion sees unraid as a backup destination, but the backup never starts.  Time Machine's status is stuck at "Looking for backup disk"

Here's what I see in the syslog:

Jul 24 22:02:47 unraid afpd[2463]: AFP3.3 Login by mike
Jul 24 22:02:53 unraid avahi-daemon[1238]: Received response from host 192.168.0.1 with invalid source port 32783 on interface 'eth0.0' (Network)
Jul 24 22:03:53 unraid last message repeated 2 times
Jul 24 22:05:21 unraid last message repeated 3 times
Jul 24 22:06:21 unraid last message repeated 2 times
Jul 24 22:06:43 unraid afpd[2608]: AFP3.3 Login by mike
Jul 24 22:06:43 unraid afpd[2608]: afp_disconnect: trying primary reconnect
Jul 24 22:06:43 unraid afpd[1225]: Reconnect: transfering session to child[2463]
Jul 24 22:06:43 unraid afpd[1225]: Reconnect: killing new session child[2608] after transfer (Minor Issues)
Jul 24 22:06:45 unraid afpd[2608]: afp_disconnect: primary reconnect succeeded
Jul 24 22:06:51 unraid avahi-daemon[1238]: Received response from host 192.168.0.1 with invalid source port 32783 on interface 'eth0.0' (Network)

• 1 month later...

I know this is a common problem, but I can't seem to find the right answer anywhere... From what I can tell, some people are getting Lion to Back up to unRAID without an issue.. I am not one of them, and I'd like to be. I'm currently running 5.0b11 (I'll wait another week for b12a I think)....

When I first boot my Mac, I can connect to the unRAID machine and Time Machine seems happy.. (sees the drive). I can then start a backup and it connects the share and starts to backup. Then, about half way through (45 mins or so)... it dies (server offline, backup disk is unavailable). From that point on, I can't even browse the network shares on UnRAID. I can continue to connect from a 10.6 machine, and there is nothing in the unRAID system log about connections failures. Here is the mac SysLog errors...

11-09-08 11:58:04.000 AM kernel: ASP_TCP CheckReqQueueSize: increasing req queue from 32 to 128 entries. so 0xffffff8011995470 
11-09-08 11:58:05.424 AM com.apple.backupd: NAConnectToServerSync failed with error: 80 for url: afp://[email protected]/Laptop-TM-Share
11-09-08 11:58:05.000 AM kernel: ASP_TCP do_thread_read: no reqInfo found for reqID 1
11-09-08 11:58:15.437 AM com.apple.backupd: Backup failed with error: 19
11-09-08 11:58:15.780 AM Finder: NetworkNode::handleMountCallBack returned 57
11-09-08 11:58:16.000 AM kernel: ASP_TCP CancelOneRequest: cancelling slot 16 error 89 reqID 18 flags 0x9 afpCmd 0x11 so 0xffffff8010c7b210
11-09-08 11:58:16.000 AM kernel: AFP_VFS afpfs_MountAFPVolume:  GetVolParms failed 0x39

It seems like the AFP client in my Lion machine is dying.. but I don't know how to check this... A reboot of my mac seems to fix it, but what is triggering this behaviour? Never had a problem backing up to my old time capsule, so I know it can work...

I've tried deleting the .Apple* files, but I can't do it while AFP is running (the files in the .AppleDB folder are persistent). So I stop AFP delete the files and then start it back up again.. but still I can't connect from the Lion machine without a reboot.

I know this info is here on this forum, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere. Can someone who has this working, please tell me what they are doing?

Cheers,

whiteatom

Progress... 5.0b12a is better.. still takes forever to find the drive and 'Index" the backup.. but it seems to be working pretty reliably now.

After the upgrade.. I would get the spinny icon in the bottom corner of the finder icon for a min or so, then the same error - "The server has gone off line" or something like that. I had to go through and manually delete all the .Apple* files through telnet and then it connected.

So far so good.. I'll be back it there are more problems :)

Cheers,

whiteatom.

Almost no problems. I have noticed that when i reboot the unraid server, TimeMachine can't find the disk - I have to manually mount the share and then run the backup. After that it's fine.

Also, I have noticed that if the unraid server is awake, there's no issues, but if the machine has slept, TimeMachine times out before it mounts the drive... and that's several minutes. I can browse to the drive while TimeMachine is "Looking for backup disk", but it won't ever find it if the server had to wake up.

Close... very close.

whiteatom

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I can't make it work consistently.

Either Time Machine is able to load the disk or even after 10 tries it's still there telling me that the operation timed out. Rarely the Mac doesn't miss its internal schedule for backup: most of the times I see the classic exclamation mark on the Time Machine icon and I have to fix it myself by manually launching the backup (and then the n tries wait for me).

However when it eventually loads, the backup works till the end, no matter what the size is, be it 250MB or 12GB.

While navigating Time Machine from within its interface at times it's responsive, at times it's slow, other time it hangs for a very while.

When selecting a file to restore, if the file is small it completes the procedure. If the file is big (or there are many files that summed up make a big amount of data, say more than 1.5GB) there's no way to complete the procedure, the disk spontaneously disconnects. That is what scares me most. What if I had to reinitialize my Mac? It would take ages to split the procedure into smaller chunks so that the disk doesn't time out - or whatever - and disconnect...

Has anybody experienced those problems?

• 3 weeks later...

I can't make it work consistently.

Either Time Machine is able to load the disk or even after 10 tries it's still there telling me that the operation timed out. Rarely the Mac doesn't miss its internal schedule for backup: most of the times I see the classic exclamation mark on the Time Machine icon and I have to fix it myself by manually launching the backup (and then the n tries wait for me).

However when it eventually loads, the backup works till the end, no matter what the size is, be it 250MB or 12GB.

While navigating Time Machine from within its interface at times it's responsive, at times it's slow, other time it hangs for a very while.

When selecting a file to restore, if the file is small it completes the procedure. If the file is big (or there are many files that summed up make a big amount of data, say more than 1.5GB) there's no way to complete the procedure, the disk spontaneously disconnects. That is what scares me most. What if I had to reinitialize my Mac? It would take ages to split the procedure into smaller chunks so that the disk doesn't time out - or whatever - and disconnect...

Has anybody experienced those problems?

I might have lied a little bit in my earlier post that said all was well.. I have the same issues. The only way to make it work reliably is to disable AFP and delete all the .Apple folders and then start it again... sometimes I have to do that twice. Then it works great for a few days... until I see the ! in the time machine logo.... and then I have to do it all over again.

Close.. but still issues.

whiteatom

• 3 weeks later...

So I have narrowed this down a little further. Anything that interrupts the connection causes the AFP share to become unavailable. I have time machine backing up perfectly for weeks.. then my machine will try and sleep while backing up, and then my AFP share is unavailable. I turn off AFP, delete all the .Apple files and turn it back on and it works perfectly for a while longer.

Any suggestions on how to harden the AFP server to make it a little more resilient to improperly closed connections?

whtieatom

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I'm a little confused by this thread. I'm running b14 and OS X 10.7. I believe I have set up a share correctly (not published through NFS or SMB, only published through AFP (TimeMachine) with a user account with r/w access). No problems at all accessing shares through OS X, however, Time Machine does not see the relevant share.

Is this the 'correct' current state of affairs for b14 or should I be able to have access? If so, I'd appreciate any pointers.

Thx

Lee.