LSI Controller FW updates IR/IT modes

Hi, I am currently using this 16 port card LSI0024 (9201-16i) which I believe is the SAS2116 controller.  I installed this thing about 1.5 years ago and just plugged it in and went to town.  Its been working pretty well for me.  I average about 110 MB/s parity check speeds with Dual Parity.  I am just now reading about all this cross flashing / IT mode, etc.  Is this something I need to do? 

Is it possible this will help my issue of not being able to reboot my server when my APC USB communication cable is plugged in?  I have an older Smart UPS and whenever the USB cable is plugged into the Unraid server Unraid will not boot.  It just sits on a blank screen with a flashing underscore.  I have checked boot options on the mobo, nothing is available that isnt my flash drive or a data drive.  Would IT mode help that problem?  Thanks for all advice!

3 hours ago, allischalmersman said:

Hi, I am currently using this 16 port card LSI0024 (9201-16i) which I believe is the SAS2116 controller.  I installed this thing about 1.5 years ago and just plugged it in and went to town.  Its been working pretty well for me.  I average about 110 MB/s parity check speeds with Dual Parity.  I am just now reading about all this cross flashing / IT mode, etc.  Is this something I need to do? 

Is it possible this will help my issue of not being able to reboot my server when my APC USB communication cable is plugged in?  I have an older Smart UPS and whenever the USB cable is plugged into the Unraid server Unraid will not boot.  It just sits on a blank screen with a flashing underscore.  I have checked boot options on the mobo, nothing is available that isnt my flash drive or a data drive.  Would IT mode help that problem?  Thanks for all advice!

Not with the 9201 it isn't a raid card it is an HBA.  IR = raid bios.  IT = HBA bios.  So your 9201 is already IN IT mode.

I am having the same issue as yaldex. I was using:

Update on 30.03.2017 <--- this is the latest, use this one!

Firmware is still P20.00.07.00

Spiced up the routines with some checks to automatically select the right tool if one is not working.

Tested on a stock H310 as well as a H200 - works for me. Post your experience in the forum.

https://www.mediafire.com/?6b77v4s7czluvs2

How were you solving your issues?

Thanks a lot Fireball, this explains my issues. I am still confused though.

This was my first landing page:

LSI MegaRAID with SAS2008 chipsets

This cards are rebranded LSI 9240-8i cards. They can be cross-flashed with the 9211-8i firmware.
Applies to
  1. IBM ServeRAID M1015
  2. Intel RS2WC080
  3. Dell Perc H310 dedicated instructions will be included in the wiki later on
  4. Dell Perc H200 dedicated instructions will be included in the wiki later on
  5. Lenovo RAID 500 dedicated instructions will be included in the wiki later on

I clicked in Dell Perc H200 dedicated instructions link:

Update on 30.03.2017 <--- this is the latest, use this one!

Firmware is still P20.00.07.00

Spiced up the routines with some checks to automatically select the right tool if one is not working.

Tested on a stock H310 as well as a H200 - works for me. Post your experience in the forum.

https://www.mediafire.com/?6b77v4s7czluvs2

This is where I got the file from and the message "Tested on a stock H310 as well as a H200" made me think that I used the right material. What should I use instead?

Thanks a lot.

Ah, the PAL error...
There is a short notice what to do in this case right below the link to the toolset that you used.
Anyway, now you can either try another mainboard (just for the flashing process) or use the EFI shell.
Unfortunately I have no spare EFI capable mainboard where I could try the toolset.

If you are willing to test it, I have prepared a new version that I'm gonna upload this evening.
Until it's available for download you can try to get the EFI boot working.
The v2 toolset has an x64 bootloader included already.
It should be sufficient to enter the BIOS with the USB drive plugged and select to boot from.
This "boot override" is usually on the same page where you can save/exit the BIOS.
Once it boots, give sas2flash.efi a try - just execute it without options.
Hopefully it works in the x64 environment or I will have to look for a 32bit version.
If you have it working so far, please wait for the next toolset version (v3)

Then execute the ?efi.bat files and follow the instructions.

Note:
Select the right drive by typing "FSx" with x being the drive letter of your USB drive. e.g. FS0, FS1
Type "ls" to list the content of your drive.

Meanwhile I was looking into this https://hardforum.com/threads/flashing-it-firmware-to-dell-h200-on-x9scm.1773245/ and this: https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/25420-m1015-x9scm-f-usb-firmware-tools/

According to these links I was booting into the EFI Shell of my X9SCL-F board and copied the Toolset_PercH310 to LSI9211_P20.00.07.00_efimod to the flash drive. Here is the outcome:

sas2flash -l Adapters.txt -listall 
     Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2008(B2)   

Controller is not operational. A firmware download is required.
Enter firmware file name or quit to exit:      Firmware fault occurred. Fault code: D04
     Due to error remaining commands will not be executed.
     Unable to Process Commands.
     Exiting SAS2Flash.

The boot menu of the adapter card is gone by the way....seems that 1.bat in a previous run did it's job. I will happily test your V2 as soon as it's uploaded.

Thank you VERY much for your help.

2 hours ago, EdgarWallace said:

The boot menu of the adapter card is gone by the way....seems that 1.bat in a previous run did it's job

I'm sure it was not the 1.bat because that does nothing but reading the controller info. Especially the SAS address...

You ran 3.bat and that wiped the card...didn't you?O.o

File is up in the original thread.

Since your card is clean, start with the 5_DELL_IT/5itdellefi.bat

As already said, I couldn't test. If you see some errors, take a pic for me. pm them to me so we don't fill this thread needlessly.

Edited by Fireball3

I just tried to flash a Perc H310 with the toolset linked here (the update from 11.04.2017). While running 1.bat I got this error. I typed quit to exit because I didn't know what to input for the firmware.

C:\SAS2FLSH.EXE -l Adapters.txt -c 0 -list 
	Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2008(B2)   

Controller is not operational. A firmware download is required.
Enter firmware file name or quit to exit: 	Due to error remaining commands will not be executed.
	Unable to Process Commands.
	Exiting SAS2Flash.

@master.h

OK, now you have the same output as @EdgarWallace. See 2 posts above.

Have you been trying other things on this controller before you started 1.bat?

On an untouched, stock card this is not normal!

Obviously your card is also wiped already!

Is the megacli command also failing? This is only shown on screen.

Continue with step 5_DELL_IT

You won't have a SAS address as the card is already clean, just copy the one

inside the 6efi.bat and use that. Same for you @EdgarWallace

@mejutty

Assuming you want the latest LSI P20 firmware then:

Please run 1.bat - there is your SAS address

then run

5_LSI_P20\5ITP20.bat

and finally run

6.bat to reprogram the SAS address

Edited by Fireball3
5 hours ago, Fireball3 said:

@master.h

OK, now you have the same output as @EdgarWallace. See 2 posts above.

Have you been trying other things on this controller before you started 1.bat?

On an untouched, stock card this is not normal!

Obviously your card is also wiped already!

Is the megacli command also failing? This is only shown on screen.

Continue with step 5_DELL_IT

You won't have a SAS address as the card is already clean, just copy the one

inside the 6efi.bat and use that. Same for you @EdgarWallace

AFAIK this came directly from a Dell T3400 (or something like that, some sort of desktop machine geared towards CAD applications) but it's sat in a drawer for about three years. This was the first time I've ever plugged it in, anyway. And yes, there was a message about megacli failing as well. I'll continue on with 5_DELL_IT and report back. Thank you kindly.

22 hours ago, Fireball3 said:

I'm sure it was not the 1.bat because that does nothing but reading the controller info. Especially the SAS address...

You ran 3.bat and that wiped the card...didn't you?O.o

File is up in the original thread.

Since your card is clean, start with the 5_DELL_IT/5itdellefi.bat

As already said, I couldn't test. If you see some errors, take a pic for me. pm them to me so we don't fill this thread needlessly.

Thanks to the HUGHE efforts of @Fireball3 my Dell Perc H200 is running it's first Parity Check at an impressive speed at 168,4 MB/sec.

Thank you VERY much.

• Upvote 1

Yes, you can boot into EFI shell and perform the remaining tasks.

There is a short notice what to do in this case right below the link to the toolset that you used.

It should be sufficient to enter the BIOS with the USB drive plugged and select to boot from.
This "boot override" is usually on the same page where you can save/exit the BIOS.
Please download the latest toolset version (v4) - see my sig.

Then execute the .nsh files and follow the instructions.

In case of an H310 all should work up to the 5er steps, then you have to switch to EFI an go ahead with 5_DELL_IT\5itdell.nsh

By the way, some posts earlier, there was also a "PAL error" report where I already outlined

how to proceed. ;-)

Note:
Select the right drive by typing "FSx" with x being the drive letter of your USB drive. e.g. FS0, FS1
Type "ls" to list the content of your drive.