SATA Controller Cards

• 2 weeks later...

See my previous post on this.  The 3132 only has two ports - the esata+sata cards have sets of jumpers to select which port is used (int or ext) for each of the two ports.  The actual sata signal goes through these jumpers and gets degraded as it does so.  As a result, I'd recommend steering clear of these "designs".

Tim.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If anyone wishes to use a Marvell-based (9125/9128) HBA such as the HighPoint Rocket 620 or 622 with unRAID 4.7, I have made available a patched kernel that enables it.

http://blueskyhorizon.com/unraid/kernel/v4.7/2.6.32.9/

Choose the amd or intel directory, whichever is appropriate for your platform.  The difference is just optimizations, either will work on any x86 platform.

You will need the updated bzroot, too.  Without it, the modules from the stock kernel may not load or function properly.

I also enabled cpu frequency management (PowerNow/SpeedStep) in this kernel.  You'll have to modprobe the appropriate module in your go script to enable this.  The one other bzroot modification is the inclusion of the 'file' command.

Replace the files (or rename the originals) on your flash drive with these and boot.  They are smaller than the stock files due to the use of lzma compression versus gzip (completely transparent to you the user other than possibly noticing longer decompression time for the bzroot.)

I have been using a Rocket 620 card in my production 4.7 server for over a week now with no issues.

I am looking to possibly backport other drivers to the unRAID 4.7 kernel version, let me know if you have any requests.

UPDATE 4/6/2012:  I have updated the kernel + bzroot with:

* Support for RocketRAID 640 HBA

* unRAID 4.7 parity rebuild bug fix

UPDATE 4/25/2012:

* Support for RocketRAID 620/622 HBA

* Support for ASMedia ASM1016 based cards such as Syba SY-PEX40039

I am looking to possibly backport other drivers to the unRAID 4.7 kernel version, let me know if you have any requests.

M1015 with spin down and temps would be my request.  I don't want to go to the betas but want to use my M1015 on my Virtualized unRAID system. Maybe that is already available?  I'm search challenged. ;D

If anyone wishes to use a Marvell-based (9125/9128) HBA such as the HighPoint Rocket 620 or 622 with unRAID 4.7, I have made available a patched kernel that enables it.

http://blueskyhorizon.com/unraid/kernel/v4.7/2.6.32.9/

Choose the amd or intel directory, whichever is appropriate for your platform.  The difference is just optimizations, either will work on any x86 platform.

You will need the updated bzroot, too.  Without it, the modules from the stock kernel may not load or function properly.

I also enabled cpu frequency management (PowerNow/SpeedStep) in this kernel.  You'll have to modprobe the appropriate module in your go script to enable this.  The one other bzroot modification is the inclusion of the 'file' command.

Replace the files (or rename the originals) on your flash drive with these and boot.  They are smaller than the stock files due to the use of lzma compression versus gzip (completely transparent to you the user other than possibly noticing longer decompression time for the bzroot.)

I have been using a Rocket 620 card in my production 4.7 server for over a week now with no issues.

Did you update the md driver with the raid strip bug fix?

M1015 with spin down and temps would be my request.  I don't want to go to the betas but want to use my M1015 on my Virtualized unRAID system. Maybe that is already available?  I'm search challenged. ;D

I'm actually working on both of these right now!

Great!  Thank you.
  • 2 weeks later...

is it normal for a AOC-SASLP-MV8 to initiate drives on the first port in reversed order?

it starts with 3 ,2 ,1, 0 that way ACHI assigns drives in reverse order too  (e. g. drive  3 will be sda, 2 sdb  etc.)

The sdX assignments can change after a reboot. The are assign by the OS in the order in which the drives are detected. This can change over time between reboots.

Hi,

I have purchased the Plus licence, and I am not sure where to post for support for UNRAID on the sata controller card.

Does UNRAID 5 support MSI Sata card based on Marvell SE9128 chipset ?

Pardon me if i post this in the wrong place.

Appreciate if someone has the same and tested it before.

Hi,

I have purchased the Plus licence, and I am not sure where to post for support for UNRAID on the sata controller card.

Does UNRAID 5 support MSI Sata card based on Marvell SE9128 chipset ?

Pardon me if i post this in the wrong place.

Appreciate if someone has the same and tested it before.

Yes, it is supported under v5.

But why, I just don't get it?

In Reply #18:

"surprise when I rebooted I was able to see the new SATA controller and the NTFS disks that were attached (from WHSv1).  I was able to mount the NTFS partitions as read-only using unmenu disk management, and then I could see the data on those disks over the network. "

and then in #19:

"OK, so given some sage advice on this forum and taking into account the many hours of time I've spent working on this DC7280 card, I'm conceding defeat to the HPT. "

In #18 he also posted a link to a HowTo.......

So I just do not get the ponit, what went wrong......

Also this Controller would make it easy to build a 'big' Server, so it would be nice, if Lime-Tech / Tom would include it.

I'd prefer having one Controller then 3 or 4...

Just having in mind, that there was on a other place a statemant about a second Parity Drive and a frew more Data Drives.

I'd say it would be 'the' Controller for a nice build....

cu

• 2 months later...

M1015 with spin down and temps would be my request.  I don't want to go to the betas but want to use my M1015 on my Virtualized unRAID system. Maybe that is already available?  I'm search challenged. ;D

Wondering if this lost steam?

Thanks

Does anyone know if this card works? SAS9211-8I 8PORT Int 6GB Sata+sas Pcie 2.0

http://www.amazon.com/SAS9211-8I-8PORT-Int-Sata-Pcie/dp/B002RL8I7M/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Electronically, and logically, that card is identical to the Supermicro AOC-USAS2 card which I am using.  In fact, I use the 9211 image to flash my card.  There is no reason why the LSI9211 should not work.

thank you much...cant afford it right now but a man can dream right?  ::)

• JorgeB unpinned and locked this topic