The Power Supply Thread

dgaschk

• 6 hours ago, progrock said:

Anyway, the last thing I want is to have a lo-quality PSU start damaging my components.  If I had known I was gonna turn this computer into an unRaid/NAS, with all these HDs, I likely would have gotten a Seasonic in the first place (always had good luck with them)... but now I'm on the edge of whether I should upgrade, or if the Corsair CS-M is solid enough to not worry.

It is indeed a low quality PSU that I would generally not recommend, but if it's working well for you then there's no urgent need to replace it.   But with a Xeon, an add-in graphics card, and a growing complement of disks, you may indeed want to consider moving to a higher quality unit the next time there's an attractive sale on a high-end Seasonic or Corsair unit.   Both Newegg and Amazon have fairly frequent sales on some excellent units.

• 1 month later...

Went to Micro Center and looked at their returned Items shelf and it was loaded with Corsair Power supplies and TP Link products, Did my homework on various power supplies and decided that the EVGA SuperNOVA 650 Watt P2 ATX 12V Power Supply fit my need perfectly. (plus it was on sale at the time for $89.00 USD) If it was not for the sale I probably would have picked up the Seasonic USA Platinum 660 Watts ATX Modular Power Supply, I am a very firm believer in that, high quality power supplies will prolong equipment life.

I went low cost in a lot of my build but refused to do that with the power supply.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, shanelovell said:

I went low cost in a lot of my build but refused to do that with the power supply.

This, exactly. The safety of your data and hardware depends on clean power. It makes no sense to put a marginal power supply in a rig destined to hold your life's memories.

Well my seems in my quest to find a decent 2u psu (note sure shy i wrote 1u earlier in the thread) i managed to find a seasonic 600watt 2u modular psu
But there is a problem that i have never come across running unraid the 60mm fan runs at a very noisey full speed. Boot win10 or ubuntu a the psu fan slows down to near silent level. No idea why this is

Now i im thinking either replace the loud 60dba adda fan with more silent fan, i have one that is loudest at 34dba and shifts a decent amount of air.
Or try the bequiet 300w tfx psu? Im not sure 300w will be enough in the long run.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Unraid forum 

I looking for advice on where I can get a server case that supports 40+ drivers 50 would be good. And a psu that can power the drivers plus 2 titan gpus and 2 power hungry CPUs. I have seen the 45 drives 60 bays server but that cost 10k for me and that a complete server.I have all the cuts just need that case and psu. Right now I using 2 1000w corsair psu and 2 cut up 24 server case. It look bad need a more better way off managing the case's. And no I not split the system up and it renders video on the servers.

2 minutes ago, bonienl said:

The maximum number of data disks in the array is 28, plus 1 or 2 parity disks.

Yes I will understand of the inerwork off unraid hdd limit's I have 2x 8tb parity disk and 28 2tb data drive and 10 ssd that 40 drive now I work in the film industry I use a lot off data

Edited by nuttytech
20 minutes ago, bonienl said:

Why not upgrade your 2TB drives to bigger ones? unRAID allows upgrade of individual disks at your own pace...

This is my rending server there no need for more then 60tb off space on this server. My  Storage server is 200tb with 6tb drivers. This is getting off topic a little. The server in question renders video most days that way there the titans and 50 core  with CPUs power

Edited by nuttytech
4 minutes ago, nuttytech said:

This is getting off topic a little.

But there are some things in your posts that sound like you are possibly on the wrong track.

It might be cheaper in the long run to upgrade the disks. 2TB drives aren't very cost effective these days.

More drives mean more problems. You already have a problem powering them. More parts just means more things that can fail.

Larger drives are cheaper per TB and possibly faster due to data density.

17 minutes ago, nuttytech said:

I have 2x 8tb parity disk and 28 2tb data drive

Do you know the only reason to have a parity disk larger than any one of your data disks is so you can eventually replace the data disks with larger ones?

unRAID allows you to mix disk sizes as you want. There is no need to have all the disks the same size, or to replace all the 2TBs at once. And there is absolutely no reason to have a parity disk that is larger than any data disk you will ever use.

21 minutes ago, trurl said:

But there are some things in your posts that sound like you are possibly on the wrong track.

It might be cheaper in the long run to upgrade the disks. 2TB drives aren't very cost effective these days.

More drives mean more problems. You already have a problem powering them. More parts just means more things that can fail.

Larger drives are cheaper per TB and possibly faster due to data density.

Do you know the only reason to have a parity disk larger than any one of your data disks is so you can eventually replace the data disks with larger ones?

unRAID allows you to mix disk sizes as you want. There is no need to have all the disks the same size, or to replace all the 2TBs at once. And there is absolutely no reason to have a parity disk that is larger than any data disk you will ever use.

I understand your point but I don't want to spend 5k in buy new drivers if I can.The 8 tb drive was me testing them for the storage  server.This is my old storage server that's I add 10 hdd to and 10 ssd to.When the drivers die I look into upgrade the server to ssd and piec drives. As most off the parts are from 2012-2013.

Edited by nuttytech
Type on iPhone keep misspelling words

If I can find a 40-50 drive server when I upgrade in the next 1-2 years I be buying 2 tb ssd and put 40 ssd in the server and same pice ssd if cost affective. But for the time being the drivers are doing the job.

Edited by nuttytech
Reword the sentence.
5 minutes ago, nuttytech said:

I don't want to spend 5k in buy new drive

Nobody is suggesting this. How did you come up with that number anyway?

There are some deals that have been posted on the forum recently for 8TB drives for $200 or less. One 8TB drive can replace 4 of your 2TB drives. 7 x 8TB could replace all 28 x 2TB. Then you would only have 7 drives to power, 7 drives to troubleshoot, 7 drives that might fail instead of 28.

In fact, you could convert one of your parity to data since you would only have 7 data disks, and just buy 6 x 8TB. And as mentioned, there is no need to do it all at once.

So, you could do the complete conversion for about 1.2K, and the expenses and troubles of finding cases and power supplies to support so many drives would be gone.

You mention using this system for graphics work. Did you know that unRAID doesn't stripe data? There is no performance benefit from multiple drives, since any file is read from only one drive.

11 minutes ago, trurl said:

Nobody is suggesting this. How did you come up with that number anyway?

There are some deals that have been posted on the forum recently for 8TB drives for $200 or less. One 8TB drive can replace 4 of your 2TB drives. 7 x 8TB could replace all 28 x 2TB. Then you would only have 7 drives to power, 7 drives to troubleshoot, 7 drives that might fail instead of 28.

In fact, you could convert one of your parity to data since you would only have 7 data disks, and just buy 6 x 8TB. And as mentioned, there is no need to do it all at once.

So, you could do the complete conversion for about 1.2K, and the expenses and troubles of finding cases and power supplies to support so many drives would be gone.

You mention using this system for graphics work. Did you know that unRAID doesn't stripe data? There is no performance benefit from multiple drives, since any file is read from only one drive.

I don't live in the USA It $400 for 6tb drives and $800-$1000 for 8tb where I from.Yes I away the drive aren't striped unraid act as a "data pool" system. I needed 40tb off space 6 mouth ago as I had sameone send me 6k raw footage from a red camera. And been using my server as a rendering server since free up my work station. I looking for psu and case  recommendations I got $1000 us to play with can go to $2000 if needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi y'all!

What do you think of this PSU for my build? EVGA SuperNOVA 650W GQ

Looks like for what I need it will safe some energy cost for me...

OuterVision PSU Calculator part list

Motherboard: Desktop
CPU: 1 x Intel Xeon E3-1246 v3
CPU Speed: 3500MHz
CPU Vcore: 1.2V
CPU Utilization: 90%
Memory: 5 x 4GB DDR3 Module
Storage: 2 x SSD
Storage: 10 x SATA 7.2K RPM
Storage: 2 x SATA 7.2K RPM
PCI Express Card: 1 x SATA RAID Controller Card
Other Device: 1 x USB 3.0 Device
Keyboard: 1 x Standard Keyboard
Mouse: 1 x Standard Mouse
Fan: 4 x 120mm
Computer Utilization: Always On (24/7)
Gaming/Video Editing/3D Rendering Time: 8 hours per day

Load Wattage: 337W
Recommended Wattage: 387W
Amperage: +3.3V: 9.5A, +5V: 18.9A, +12V: 21.7A
Recommended UPS Rating: 650VA
Generated by OuterVision PSU Calculator 2017-05-07 08:32:24

5 hours ago, the_cook said:

Hi y'all!

What do you think of this PSU for my build? EVGA SuperNOVA 650W GQ

650W will work fine for what you're up to.  Looks like your load will put that supply in its highest efficiency zone, so I'd say you're good to go!

On 2017-04-28 at 8:26 AM, nuttytech said:

Hi Unraid forum 

I looking for advice on where I can get a server case that supports 40+ drivers 50 would be good. And a psu that can power the drivers plus 2 titan gpus and 2 power hungry CPUs.

Where I am the Supermicro 847E2C-R1K28JBO chassis (which includes two 1280W power supplies, and SAS backplanes and front+rear hot swap bays for 44 3.5-inch hard drives)  costs the same as 6.37 10TB enterprise (5-year warranty) hard drives.

That's 50TB of parity-protected data for your rendering needs.

I've never seen a chassis as large as the one you're after for sale in the used market (eBay or otherwise, yet -- I am sure I will one day!) so as far as I am concerned you're buying a new chassis at full price. I don't see how you're going to fit it into such a small budget.

Best forward-thinking logic is as already suggested: Spend money on larger drives so you can use cheaper, smaller chassis, like one of the ones you already have... unless you can barter a deal with a good metal bender in your area who can make you what you need.

Edited by bman
5 hours ago, bman said:

Where I am the Supermicro 847E2C-R1K28JBO chassis (which includes two 1280W power supplies, and SAS backplanes and front+rear hot swap bays for 44 3.5-inch hard drives)  costs the same as 6.37 10TB enterprise (5-year warranty) hard drives.

That's 50TB of parity-protected data for your rendering needs.

I've never seen a chassis as large as the one you're after for sale in the used market (eBay or otherwise, yet -- I am sure I will one day!) so as far as I am concerned you're buying a new chassis at full price. I don't see how you're going to fit it into such a small budget.

Best forward-thinking logic is as already suggested: Spend money on larger drives so you can use cheaper, smaller chassis, like one of the ones you already have... unless you can barter a deal with a good metal bender in your area who can make you what you need.

Thank for the suggestion but that case dose not have the  PCI slots needed for the amount off card I have. It doesn't have to rackmount 

Having searched briefly for anything that's not rackmount and still holds that many drives, I come up short.  As far as I can tell, any other form factor (like Lian-li's PC-D8000) adds extra space but no increase in available drive slots. I'm not sure there's a way around it. There is not a large enough market for a single chassis that holds as many drives as you're looking to house, so your choices are few and expensive.

Edited by bman