Unison: synchronisation and backup

Some unRAIDers may be interested in unison for their synchronisation and backup needs: http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/

1) put the text-UI executable for GNU/Linux on your flash, e.g., as /boot/unison

2) add, e.g, the following (excluding the ..., <...>) to /boot/config/go in order to

- backup /boot/config at start-up and

- make it possible to synchronise to your unRAID machine

<go@unRAID>

export UNISON=/mnt/disk10/.unison

/boot/unison backup_config

/boot/unison -socket 1111 &

</go@unRAID>

2a) In the example, all administrative files for unison are stored in /mnt/disk10/.unison.

2b) The first unison invocation assumes that the UNISON directory contains a file called backup_config.prf, which could contain the following (excluding the <...>)

<backup_config.prf@unRAID>

root = /boot

root = /mnt/disk10/users/unraid

force = /boot

batch = true

path = config

ignore = Name *.key

logfile = /mnt/disk10/.unison/unison.log

backup = Name *

maxbackups = 10

</backup_config.prf@unRAID>

The effect of this is that the content of /boot/config (except for any *.key files) is synchronised to /mnt/disk10/users/unraid/config, with preference always given to the file versions in /boot/config; a log is kept in /mnt/disk10/.unison/unison.log and up to 10 old versions of the files from /boot/config are kept in /mnt/disk10/.unison/backup/config.

2c) The second unison invocation makes unison available as a server on port 1111. NB! no security is in place (and the method is deprecated with the preferred method being ssh-tunnelled P2P invocation). An example profile for backing-up to the unRAID server is (excluding the <...>):

<myprofile.prf@LocalMachine>

root = D:/

root = socket://192.168.11.150:1111//mnt/disk10/users

path = Rene

fastcheck = true

ignore = Name CVS

ignore = Name .svn

</myprofile.prf@LocalMachine>

The effect is that D:/Rene on the local machine is synchronised against /mnt/disk10/users/Rene on the unRAID machine at 192.168.11.150, with CVS and SVN administrative files ignored.

3) The on-line manual documents the full range of options that are available.

4) unison runs on GNU/Linux, Mac OS X, Solaris, Windows, and probably more.

• 7 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Has anyone done this lately?  (this is a very old post)

I use unison to sync PC drives across several PCs on my home network, but I would like to sync one PC drive to Unraid.

I am familiar with setting up prf files, etc, but all my unison experience has been on Windows.  I am hesitant to try this without assurance it works, as I don't want to mistakely screw up my unRaid storage-

Thanks!